General

Transdermal Patches That Must Be Removed Before MRI

Created by:

29 Aug 2016 - General

Before any MRI, patients should take extra precautions to be sure that the procedure goes smoothly and safely. Many poeple may be unaware that even transdermal patches should be removed before such a procedure. Some transdermal patches contain metals that make up the patch structure or are present in their pigments (such as iron oxide). Such metals can cause burns when not removed during MRI. Check out this article for a list of transdermal patches that shuld be removed before an MRI procedure. Do you frequently prescribe transdermal patches to your patients? What other tips or advice do you give to patients regarding their use?

http://www.pharmacytimes.com/contributor/alexander-kantorovich-pharmd-bcps/2016/08/transdermal-patches-that-must-be-removed-before-mri

Mark Edmon Tan It's true that transdermal patches are more costly than their orally-administered counterparts, making them rarely used here in the Philippines unless really needed. It's good though, that you advice patients not to cut the patch. Some may think that transdermal patches are similar to topical patches (like Salonpas) that you can just cut to fit the area. ...
 (Total 108 words)
Use of trans-dermal patches for kids would be a disaster! Those would most probably end up n their digestive tracts. :D We have quite many kids that we send for MRI scans, and the radiology department of my hospital is extra careful to make sure that the child is free of any type of artificial device in / on their body. A special form is sent to the ward before a MRI procedure, and we have to bring the child and the parents and go through the whole list of items and check if the child has any of...
 (Total 119 words)
I offer prescription of transdermal patches for pain relief for patients with chronic pain because it lasts for 7 days. However, the cost (around P1,400 or roughly $35USD) makes it unattractive for patients. I have one successful prescription of transdermal patch for a patient though. My advice was not to cut the transdermal patch into half or squares as it would tamper the delivery of the medication. Thank you for sharing the article ...
 (Total 108 words)
Though I have not been prescribing any transdermal patches to my patients this is very good to know that certain patches can cause such damage when entering an MRI. I was not aware on the said metal content of these patches and will definitely keep an eye out in the future. Common patches I would see in practice (though have not seen these patients need to undergo an MRI) are Estradiol, Fentanyl, and Nicotine and they are all on this list. Thank you for sharing this ...
 (Total 90 words)