General
Cardiothoracic surgeons needed: Only 57 in the country, serving a population of 30 million

Cardiothoracic surgeons needed: Only 57 in the country, serving a population of 30 million

Shared by:

There are only 57 cardiothoracic surgeons in both the public and private sectors in the country to attend to a population of 30 million people. This means a ratio of one surgeon for every 500,000 members of the population. The nation requires a total of 160 cardiothoracic surgeons to meet the ratio of 1:200,000. Compared to the ratio in US (1:100,000), Australia (1:180,000) and UK (1:150,000), Malaysia is lacking pretty far behind.

today.mims.com

29 Aug 2016 - General

30 millions to be seen only by 57 cardiologists! That sounds horrible right? That means around 500000 patients are being covered up by one cardiologist! Cardiology is one of the most demanded sub specialities in the world. Anyone at any age can get a chest pain. Now a days the public is much more aware about the atmosphere around them thank to the internet. So even a patient with gastro-esophageal reflux disease can present with an acute chest pain and meet a cardiologist not a general physician...
 (Total 105 words)
Marinelle Castro You have a very valid point there. Plus it is very hard to convince a patient to have coronary artery bypass graft procedure even if he/she is already a poor candidate for angioplasty. May I ask the subspecialty that you would be training in? Is this plastic surgery? Surgery really is madness because surgeons literally live in the hospital. I remember my friend telling me that he does not get exp...
 (Total 120 words)
Actually, the reason why I decided to become a doctor is because I have always wanted to be a cardiothoracic surgeon. However, when I was already a medical clerk, I reconsidered my options because I realized that cardiac surgery is a "dying" field because of the increasing popularity of non-invasive techniques. Who wants a bypass graft when you can opt for an angioplasty? Its just a good thing that I developed interest (or madness) for another surgical specialty during clerkship. Anywa...
 (Total 220 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama The shortage of cardiothoracic surgeons is also a problem in the Philippines. I was thinking about the same reason for shortage of cardiothoracic surgeons - the length of painstaking training to finish the program. May I know the process of finishing cardiothoracic specialization in your country? I think in the Philippines you have to finish general surgery first which takes 5 years before...
 (Total 126 words)
I think this is a common problem in most if not all countries in the south and South east asian region. And it is not limited to cardiothorasic surgery. Many subspecialties in medicine and surgery have a huge lack of consultants to care for the total population. Sometime the doctor to patient ratio can be as high as 1:1000000. The amount of experience and training needed to specialize in a subspecialty, and the number of exams one has to go through is pretty high and I think that is why only a ...
 (Total 133 words)