General
The challenging world of mental health nursing

The challenging world of mental health nursing

Shared by:

Psychiatric nursing has its own unique challenges. And it is the nurse with "genuine passion" who can withstand the rigors of the job and find the rewards - self-directed professional and personal growth and never-ending gratitude from those whose lives they've touched - worth the scratches and bruises, all battle scars to be proud of.

today.mims.com

29 Aug 2016 - General

I truly admire and commend these health care professionals who choose to specialize in Psychiatry. Not only does it deal with conditions of a very complex nature, it may also become too emotionally burdensome at one point. I have an aunt who is a psychiatric patient, and one time she needed to be confined due to CHF, I witnessed what it was like for the nurses to deal with patients in the psych wards. They always have to be on alert to foresee any potential attack or breakdown by the patient tha...
 (Total 198 words)
It is unfair to say that nurses in the psychiatric wards have it easier compared to regular wards. One good reason is that there is a high level of transference when dealing with psychiatric patients. It was emotionally tiring and I felt this as a senior intern who had less interaction with patients than the nurses on duty at the psychiatric ward. I cannot imagine the level of stress they deal with. Also, it is not a guarantee that the patients are emotionally stable at all times. Nurses run the...
 (Total 155 words)
It is unfair to say that nurses in the psychiatric wards have it easier compared to regular wards. One good reason is that there is a high level of transference when dealing with psychiatric patients. It was emotionally tiring and I felt this as a senior intern who had less interaction with patients than the nurses on duty at the psychiatric ward. I cannot imagine the level of stress they deal with. Also, it is not a guarantee that the patients are emotionally stable at all times. Nurses run the...
 (Total 155 words)