General
Are coffee habits simply in our genes?

Are coffee habits simply in our genes?

Shared by:

A study of habitual coffee consumption and its association with our genes may explain why the same amount of coffee or caffeine can have majorly different effects on different people. Could it really be in our genes?

today.mims.com

29 Aug 2016 - General

Theekshana Abayawickrama definitely never saw a person overdose on coffee. Though if we think about caffeine overdose we could consider that there are caffeine tablets in the market or at least tablets that have caffeine as part of the combination. If a person took a combination drug it would of course be more likely that they would overdose on the other drug component and not caffeine but the possibility of caffe...
 (Total 145 words)
Haha, reading all the comments made me laugh! I can very much relate as I was a coffee addict too, especially in college and through most of my career. I have since overcome this addiction more than a year ago due to my persistent GERD (I had to experience being kept awake the whole night due to the extreme pain in my stomach before I finally, painstakingly decided to quit coffee). Back when I still could enjoycoffee, however, I used to drink 3 cups a day, one in the morning to jolt me awake, on...
 (Total 178 words)
So for an average adult of 5 kg, 7.5 grams of coffee would be toxic. A regular black coffee contains roughly 260 milligrams of caffeine (http://www.healthline.com/health/caffeine-overdose#Overview1) so one can have about 28 glasses of black coffee before getting overdosed. Can someone seriously drink that much of coffee per day though? Speaking of caffeine overdoes, have you ever come across any patient with caffeine overdose? At least with symptoms of excessive drinking of coffee? Well I'm ...
 (Total 99 words)
Jennifer Winter the first time I realized that I rely on coffee to survive, I got sad and said "I thought I was just high on life". Hahaha! But yeah, i get headaches when I have no coffee all day. But I just sleep. My day usually begins with brewed coffee that my assistant makes for me when I get to work but there are busy days when I have no time to sit and sip, and I just let myself go coffee-less, bu...
 (Total 87 words)
Maria Cristina Inserto: The end of the day deal where you are tired and don't know why only to realize that you didn't have coffee is what happens to me as well. I get headaches at times and I feel empty haha. Alan Rosmadi: When you said you have been drinking coffee for 11 years made me look back and think how long I have ...
 (Total 199 words)
This article really got my attention. My parents can't start there day off with out having a cup of coffee. They consumed 2-3cups of coffee per day. Now, i can really say that we are indeed their children. Haha. I have a younger brother who loves drinking coffee instead of milk. Genes really is one of the responsible of this. I'm pretty sure all of us are accompanied by our coffees during those times that we need to stay awake for our night duties, studying for exams, and energy source/ ...
 (Total 124 words)
I usually start my day with a cup of coffee and end it with coffee too. I love coffee and my family too. Its true that it is in the genes but its just too irresistible. It became a habit for me to have coffee when i started studying in college. All of a sudden i needed it everyday. But surprisingly i never get palpitations but i do get tremors if I don't get my coffee. It is scary but i lived with it almost for 11 years. I think genes plays a part but i do believe it only does to a certain e...
 (Total 149 words)
I have about 1-2 cups of coffee daily, but I can sometimes take 3 or 4 on certain days. My love affair with coffee began late though. I college I tried coffee for late night studying but it didn't work for me then, and would have Coca Cola instead. Eventually, I learned how to drink coffee and now i cannot go on a day without it. Actually there are days when I realize that I'm tired already at the end of the day and when I try to recall what's different with the day, I find out that ...
 (Total 116 words)
I also have probably 5 or 6 of the loci working inside of me. I feel there also must be a part of our genome that makes us not want coffee. Otherwise how would we control our desire for coffee. Both types must be keeping us in balance so that we do not die of caffeine overdose! Sounds ridiculous, but it is something to think about. My coffee habit is generally 1 cup everyday, but the total number often becomes 9 or 10 per week because of unplanned sudden desires for coffee :D For the afternoon I...
 (Total 104 words)
Mark Edmon Tan ah it is indeed in your genes. Blame it on your genome! *Looks at coffee mug and realizes it has gone cold for the Lord of the Rings inscription has disappeared* Our environment does play a huge role as well. I started drinking coffee during my pre-med days in nursing. Back then the 3-in-1 coffees were my go to drinks during duty and they were still able to keep me awake. I drink 2 doses of 300 ml ...
 (Total 112 words)
Jennifer Winter Yep, all eight loci are firing on all cylinders the day I was born too *sipping the greatest invention ever, instant 3-in-1 coffee, inside a thermos mug while on hospital duty*. haha I think it may be a combination of genetics, a recollection of our parents habits, and wonderful workload that led to the java affair. I remember seeing my father sip on his mug early in the morning while mentally pla...
 (Total 144 words)
I blame all eight loci on record for my underlying propensity to drink coffee *takes a sip of her hot steaming mug of black arabica*. hehe This is truly interesting to know that there are more areas on our genome to blame for more habitual behaviors. I can throw around "blame it on my/your genes" more often as I would only use this term for familial diseases. Though the article stated that the biological link between PDSS2 and coffee consumption still requires further investigation it ...
 (Total 152 words)