General
Ancient toilet marks first evidence of how infectious diseases spread along the Silk Road

Ancient toilet marks first evidence of how infectious diseases spread along the Silk Road

Shared by:

In recent years, we have seen how viruses like MERS and SARS move swiftly across nations through unsuspecting traveller. Fresh analysis of the faecal contents of an ancient latrine yielded proof for the first time that travellers were responsible for the spread of infectious diseases along huge distances of the route 2,000 years ago.

today.mims.com

29 Aug 2016 - General

So I looked up the picture of these personal hygiene sticks, also called "hygiene wands", and found it here: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/jul/22/ancient-bottom-wipers-yield-evidence-of-diseases-silk-road-chinese-liver-fluke#img-1 Truly revolting indeed. I could not find an explanation on how this particular stick was used but I found that the Ancient Romans used cloth on a stick as well. This was called Xylospongium or sponge on a stick and although some sources claimed the...
 (Total 126 words)
Mark Edmon Tan Yeah indeed. It's amazing that remnants of a personal hygiene stick were preserved for scientists to study after all these. What's more astonishing is how scientists figured out it was a personal hygiene stick. The cloth was probably almost completely worn off, and the stick, well it must have been a degrading piece of wood. What made them think it was a hygiene stick, and not some kind of ...
 (Total 113 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama so here I am trying to imagine this stick with a cloth wrapped around it and what pops into my head it the padded tongue depressor. I did not even think about the possibility that there was someone else trying to scrape their anus for any fecal remnants. Now if they did that and they wanted to be frugal with their supplies of personal hygiene sticks they probably may have reused this ingen...
 (Total 170 words)
Maria Cristina Inserto It's gross to find a relic like that. It seems like weather was really warm in the Silk road for the personal hygiene sticks to be preserved. I have a very deep respect to the archaeologists who braved the stench of this sticks. During a 2,000 kilometer travel which would take weeks perhaps, it is really impossible not to get sick. The chances of amplifying an illness increases further a...
 (Total 122 words)
I thought the same thing... they found personal hygiene sticks from ages ago? And yes Mark Edmon Tan it's gross enough that they exist and to find them today, hehe. I used to play this PC game when I was in highschool. It's called Oregon Trail and the goal is to play through your journey on the trail, making sure you survive calamity, hunger, physical attack and disease. You start as a family and when som...
 (Total 144 words)
Wow! It is already disgusting to have the personal hygiene stick Theekshana Abayawickrama but to have a remnant of it to be discovered in this age is something else. Well, at least they were on to something with that stick as maybe it evolved until the invention of the bidet. A 2,000 kilometer travel while meeting numerous people during stopovers will definitely give a person some illness. In this case, parasites ...
 (Total 117 words)
This is indeed a really interesting article, but it's the 'personal hygiene stick' part that makes the story a little bit disgusting. "Wooden sticks cloth-wrapped at one end and used for wiping away faeces from the anus" Seriously? I can't help but think that they were used to wipe the anus of another person! If one wanted to wipe his own back after going to the toilet, wiping off with a simple piece of cloth would have done the job. How can one use a large stick to wip...
 (Total 136 words)
I have always found history fascinating and to read such a discovery really piques my interest. 2000 years ago infectious diseases were spread by travellers travelling my horse/camel, carriage or foot can be compared on how nowadays we spread diseases to an even greater distance by aeroplane. I would like to introduce some popular culture in this topic as it mentioned the use of personal hygiene sticks during that type to remove excess faeces from the anus. Remember the movie "Demolition ma...
 (Total 129 words)