General
The importance of pre-operative warm ups before laparoscopic surgeries

The importance of pre-operative warm ups before laparoscopic surgeries

Shared by:

It is highly advised to warm up before engaging in any physical activity. There are several reasons why a person should warm up. Warming up elevates the body temperature and therefore reduces the potential for injuries to skeletal muscles and connective tissues. Other reasons includes increased blood flow to the heart and to the exercising muscles, better nerve impulse transmission, and prepares the skeletal muscles and the cardiovascular system for the upcoming exercise.

today.mims.com

29 Aug 2016 - General

I don't think there's anything wrong with doing this. It's just similar to surgical planning. When you plan your surgery, you run the steps in your head several times prior to cutting. Just in this case, an actual simulator can be used. J...
 (Total 121 words)
POWER includes laparoscopic suturing and knot tying in a pelvic box trainer. I guess this type of pre-operative warm up has not been tried out around Asia since it requires a virtual reality simulator which I would think wouldn't be part of a sta...
 (Total 100 words)
Kathleen Peralta I agree that it can be time consuming for the surgeon but I think the effort is worth spending time to. It can lead to faster and safer operating procedures and will benefi...
 (Total 117 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama Yes, that would really cause trouble if a patient was asked to warm up before surgery. You will get a questionable blood loss report for sure. I think there is cut-o...
 (Total 88 words)
Amit Parasnis Thank you for sharing this input. POWER is not yet accessible to most hospitals then. Planning is a mental warm-up and conditions the mind to focus on the procedure. Mental pr...
 (Total 91 words)
As the routine takes, approximately 15-20 minutes and is done 1 hour before surgery, I would doubt that the Surgeons would happily do this prior to surgery as assessing patients and briefing would normally take their time already prior to doing the p...
 (Total 119 words)
The title of this article got me thinking for a while. "Warm up before laparoscopic surgeries. What benifit would it give to the patient? Perhaps it increases blood supply to the organ and abdominal wall and improves healing. But wouldn't it...
 (Total 149 words)
That was an interesting study. However, as of now, since we have no access to such simulators readily in the OT, no such warming up is possible. The warming up or getting in the zone for surgery is done by discussing important steps with your assista...
 (Total 94 words)
Mark Edmon Tan ya scrubbing is our warm up. haha Play some upbeat tunes in the OR along with it and we could get a full body work out. Yes I would like to hear from Surgeons from other coun...
 (Total 121 words)
Jennifer Winter I agree. It also prepares the surgeon mentally for the surgery to be performed. Benefits have been encouraging especially for residents according to the study. We certainly ...
 (Total 106 words)
There seems to be several studies that looked into the benefits of warming up prior to laparoscopic surgery. Like conditioning yourself before running a marathon we should condition ourselves as well pre-operatively. The idea of POWER is not merely t...
 (Total 170 words)
It is about time that warm-up prior to performance of operations and procedures are now discussed. Simple stretching by the surgeon is good prior to a procedure. Warming up with simulation of hand movement is greater for improving surgical time and p...
 (Total 131 words)