General
The dangers of prescription drugs made available without prescription

The dangers of prescription drugs made available without prescription

Shared by:

Pharmacists dispense prescription drugs to patients on recommendation by their doctors. In addition to that, they also offer advice and provide information to patients about the medication, their use and side effects. They work closely with healthcare professionals in the management of prescription drugs in the market.

today.mims.com

30 Aug 2016 - General

In Hong Kong, it is the shopkeepers and/or the owners of independent pharmacies to sell prescription drugs without prescription to the public in order to make money. The Community Pharmacist's in Hong Kong are discipline and professional. The mentioned situation is occurred when there is no pharmacist on-duty in the community Pharmacies or the shopkeepers intentionally do not inform the on-duty pharmacists. Just a gentle reminder, there is a conflict of interest if a doctor does prescribing ...
 (Total 104 words)
This has long been an issue in the Philippines especially for the independent drugstore companies. Antibiotics are being dispensed left and right without prescription from doctors. Pain relievers can be had over-the-counter even tramadol which is supposed to be a regulated drug. Even anticonvulsants can be bought OTC without a prescription in smaller drugstores. This is very concerning because anticonvulsants should not be taken with alcohol as it potentiates alcohol effect by sevenfold that can...
 (Total 128 words)
Well I have to agree with this article. There are regulated medications that are made available to the public without any prescription at all. As to our locality, Rivotril can be easily dispensed on other pharmacies. I mean most of the little companies just dispense medications without prescriptions at all, but I know some of the big companies with valid pharmacists who dispense medications without prescriptions specifically dispensing of Rivotril. In our hospital, the pharmacist are very strict...
 (Total 172 words)
I agree with Marinelle Castro; in the hospital, it's next to impossible to dispense any drug without a doctor's order or prescription. Hospital pharmacy audits are quite strict and there are a lot more protocols in place. When it comes to community pharmacies here, it's another story. Many of the smaller drugstores dispense prescription drugs without a prescription, though I think the FDA is trying to...
 (Total 138 words)
I think this is not a problem within the hospital premises because there are administrative audits when it comes to dispensing controlled drugs. This is more of a dilemma among independent pharmacies, especially the small ones, wherein there are no administrative checkpoints with regards to the requirement of a dangerous drugs prescription prior to dispensing. I would agree that one of the most illegally dispensed drugs is Valium. Back in college, I have some friends who have insomnia and they a...
 (Total 139 words)
In our hospital, we have a policies and guidelines to follow. One of which is to protect the patients and prevent causing more illness. So, in line with this, we nurses follows the physicians prescription whether the patient is having his or her home medications or maintenance. Its always safer to let the physician assess and reevaluate if a certain medication is needed. As what i have experienced, we are not able to give a regulated drug if with out a prescription. Same goes with the pharmacist...
 (Total 143 words)