General
56 cases of locally transmitted Zika virus in Singapore, new complication linked to virus

56 cases of locally transmitted Zika virus in Singapore, new complication linked to virus

Shared by:

The first locally transmitted case of the Zika virus has been reported in Singapore and elsewhere, a new Zika-linked complication - sensory polyneuropathy - has been reported.

today.mims.com

30 Aug 2016 - General

You know what, my sister is due visit Singapore this week for work. she was so excited when she finally got the memo for it and then she said, "But didn't they find Zika virus in SG?" Thanks An Chau for your Zika facts. I've just shared them with my sister. And yes, Jennifer Winter--every year in an effort to de...
 (Total 121 words)
Like what An Chau pointed out, there is indeed a media hype on Zika Virus transmission. Whether it is to establish awareness or if it is for political reasons, readers must look into the facts before being unnecessarily emotional about this issue. I think this is more of a wake up call to ensure that we are living in a clean environment. If not Zika virus, people may acquire other viruses such as Dengue or Ching...
 (Total 148 words)
I know I may be start to sound like a broken record but I have to say again, "Prevention is better cure". In this case we need to practice environmental control. Living in a tropical country where it always rains, Philippines, we are specifically prone to getting these types of mosquito borne diseases. Just like Dengue the same precautionary measures should be done for Zika. All stagnant water needs to be emptied. The aedes mosquito lays eggs there and larvae thrive in these containers...
 (Total 212 words)
The management of this crisis will have to be handled very carefully. Singapore has a long history with dengue fever, also associated with the Aedes mosquito, so prevention measures are not exactly new to the public. Perhaps this current Zika situation can motivate scientists and authorities to look at more effective ways to eradicate the Aedes mosquito. The possibility of Zika spreading over to Malaysia and Indonesia from Singapore is another issue that authorities have to be careful about. Poo...
 (Total 99 words)
I am not surprised. Construction sites are prime locations for breeding grounds. So unfortunate for them. Here are some clear cut facts on Zika Virus in case anyone becomes overwhelmed by the media hype of ZIKA!!

1. Transmission: via Aedes mosquito, which also transmits chikungunya, dengue and yellow fever. Can also be transmitted through sex and has been detected in semen, blood, urine, amniotic fluids, saliva as well as body fluids found in the brain and spinal cord.
2. Where doe...
 (Total 329 words)