General
Alcohol and drug abuse among doctors: Risk factors

Alcohol and drug abuse among doctors: Risk factors

Shared by:

Drug abuse is a global concern, and doctors like the general population are widely affected. According to an article published in the Journal of the American Medical Association in 2013, alcohol, narcotic and sedative addiction is as common among doctors as the general population.

today.mims.com

30 Aug 2016 - General

Marinelle Castro Yes you are quite correct because the threshold differs from a person to another person. And the way a man who behaves after having a drink differs from another one. It depends. Everything has it's own limit. When someone goes beyond that limit, the situation changes. Drinking much is not good. That is obvious. But having a drink occasionally to be socialized with the company is okay I think....
 (Total 104 words)
I think that our coping mechanisms are flawed. We have been trained to restrict our emotions during medical school. When we are bombarded with 5 exams in a day (happens quite a lot), we cannot afford to be emotional after failing in the first exam. We were taught to suspend grief, move on, and take the next exam. It has been this way for 3 years. Then, we are thrust into hospital work where the stakes become higher( as we perceive it). Hence, we find solace in coping with alcohol to wash away ou...
 (Total 143 words)
Maria Cristina Inserto You have a point there. Perhaps its the way professionals "let themselves go". I have no problems with those who have the capacity to drink a lot without behaving poorly. In fact drinking can be quite fun if you're with the right crowd. However sometimes I encounter people who are old enough to know their tolerance to alcohol, yet they overdrink and misbehave. I think this is ...
 (Total 136 words)
I have never seen anyone party hard like I've seen some doctors do, despite the fact that we are always tired-- but no sir, drinking is an exception. I don't know if it is tradition, but surgeons do party like there's no tomorrow. Well, at least for the surgeons that I know. Even the older ones do know how to party. I do drink and we can't remove the fact that we have almost all the reasons to drink or party. Have free time? Let's go drink. Rocked the conference? Party defini...
 (Total 124 words)
As you know medicine is the most stressful course among all the courses in the universities. That has been prooved by researches too. And even after being a doctor, that stressful life style continues. Sleepless long nights, a massive number of casualty admissions, the heavy load of information to keep in the mind, being away from the loved ones and being criticized by the seniors are the leading causes to make a doctor's career stressful. So hang outs, get togethers, parties and other socia...
 (Total 132 words)
Doctors and Lawyers. My bestfriend who is an MD married a lawyer and during their beach wedding, they loaded crates of hard liquor because they both new that their friends would be drinking. At one point, I remember our table (doctors) taunting the lawyers who were equally inebriated, to drink some more. I think it's also the fact that we have to be "professionals" at work, almost flawless, so outside the clinic/hospital/courtroom we assume a more relaxed persona that is loose, out...
 (Total 132 words)
Unfortunately I would have to agree that there are a lot of alcoholics in the medical field. It seems like almost all celebrations require having to take alcohol. This is especially bothersome in the surgical field, wherein junior surgical residents are actually ordered by senior residents or even consultants to drink alcohol until they get really drunk. When I was a pre-resident at a certain institution (not the institution where I'm currently working at), I remember that I was asked to dri...
 (Total 154 words)