General
The Waiting Game: 6 ways to improve your patient’s waiting time

The Waiting Game: 6 ways to improve your patient’s waiting time

Shared by:

A patient’s waiting time can have that powerful effect on their overall mood.

today.mims.com

31 Aug 2016 - General

I've said it many times here, I really don't like it when patients wait, but of course you cannot control everything. When we set appointments, we count the number of people, ask what they need and so time patients accordingly. For simple cleaning, 15-30 minutes per patient is good; and for a root canal 2-3 hours, etc. Sometimes you cannot help it because patients will come in for a simple checkup and end up getting/needing more--also some patients will be late. For efficiency, I always ...
 (Total 207 words)
At the clinics specially in government sector in Sri Lanka, there is a lot of crowd there in the clinics everyday. Because, in my country free health is practiced. So the public is concerned even by hay fever. Anyhow we have to treat whatever the number visit to the clinics happily. Since there are lots of patients there, many of them sees that there time is getting wasted for waiting. So that the government can improve the facilities of government medical faculties to increase the number of the...
 (Total 116 words)
Aside from comfortable seating and well-ventilated waiting room, my top priority would be an accessible hot and cold water station. Getting dehydrated while waiting for the doctor often augments a patient's frustration. Offering tea and coffee also will help pacify those who need a quick caffeine fix as they probably woke up early for an appointment. It is nearly impossible to make it on time in the Philippines because of horrible traffic. To resolve this issue, we must set a reasonable inte...
 (Total 162 words)
Now here we come again with the waiting game. I think culture has something to do with this waiting game process. First of all we are aware that we have this so called, "Filipino Time". Maybe not all of us are guilty but most of us I guess. hehe. There are tips mentioned above that could be very helpful in managing patients temper while waiting. A good wifi connection for teens and those middle adults could be a good pacifier for the tension created because of waiting, but for those w...
 (Total 157 words)
This is a real problem because no matter how much we want to follow our schedule, the nature of our job makes this impossible. Doctors always live on the edge - we have to respond to emergency calls, deal with unforseen situations, listen to our patients even if it goes beyond our schedule. From what I know, a clinic consult of 15-20 mins/patient is standard. However, there are situations wherein consults take a longer time than usual. I think one of the ways to improve waiting time is to allot ...
 (Total 190 words)
Believe it or not long waiting times also tend to be an issue in telemedicine. I would apologize, like the article suggested, by explaining the delay, thanking them for their patience leading to assuring to them that I was there now to attend to their medical needs. I don't want to make excuses for how schedules are not met but when a doctor holds a clinic and also has in patients the patient of greater priority takes precedence over the other. By this I mean if my in-patient developed a com...
 (Total 229 words)
This is true. Usually doctors schedule on their clinics are not being followed. And most of the time patients gets irritated for the delay. But I have this experience where my doctor is not yet around and they got a very nice idea where putting some entertainment in the waiting area. This includes a television, some of a magazines and newspaper. As for me, it makes me relaxed for some reason and made me feel somewhat comfortable. I didn't even noticed that its my turn to be checked. May be ...
 (Total 99 words)