General
6 food frauds that you probably never knew

6 food frauds that you probably never knew

Shared by:

Before watching a late-night football game, you stop at a roadside stall to buy a trusty hotdog. Chances are, 50% of that hotdog is fake. Food fraud is extremely common, with most products being advertised falsely. Here, we have compiled 6 food frauds that you should know about.

today.mims.com

31 Aug 2016 - General

Oh my gosh, this is so depressing. Even parmesan and olive oil? I mean, who can you trust now? Should we have chemical labs built at home so we could test stuff we buy before we use them for cooking? Then we have vegetables--next thing we know the so-called organic are just being labelled so. This is really frustrating. I've heard of hotdogs not being real beef or pork before, they're yummy so I still have it from time to time, but I don't have it as much now. The other meat products...
 (Total 165 words)
Very informative articles indeed. With beef being replaced by Horsemeat is not new to me though as one of the largest supermarket brand here in UK was talked about by everybody or every consumer un the country following a media report that this particular store was using horsemeat for their beef burger parties. The public were informed about it two to three years ago. As for the other food frauds, I am surprised about extra virgin oil when you thought it would be a healthy option but it isn'...
 (Total 103 words)
This is real sad. It is like the day that meatballs were not 100% meat haha! I am sure a lot of burger joints are also repeat offenders with proclaiming 100% beef patty. It is surprising to see extra-virgin olive oil in the list. It was supposedly a healthy alternative for those with heart conditions yet they mix oils that are of lesser quality. Shame on those who produce sham foods or slip in inappropriate ingredients that could cause harm to other people. Replacing lamb with other types of mea...
 (Total 149 words)
Oh. Very informative. These days we cant really tell if what we bought is really 100% beef, tuna, lamb, olive oil, etc. The only thing that we can do here is to cook the food well. I would like to agree with @Leanna Marie Victoria that cheaper brands may not be always the better choice to take. Having a trusted brand and of course, by reading research or studies it might help us avoid being deceived by their products. Its really sad that the companies/ producers didn't uphold their standard...
 (Total 112 words)
Wow now that really is an eye opener right there. Hotdog came to no surprise but horse in place of beef is something else. I never heard of the tuna poser Escoloar so I read up on it. I was thinking, "ok so we are not eating tuna at times. Although we are cheated we are still eating fish." Apparently consuming the Escoloar fish can cause steatorrhea and that we should limit our consumption to 170grams or less. This could also explain as well the diarrheal symptoms patients have after c...
 (Total 124 words)
Woah, some of these really came as a surprise. Hotdogs, sure, we may never know what's truly in there... but Parmesan cheese with wood pulp? I'm most disappointed with the part on extra-virgin olive oil, as I usually add it to my salad vinaigrettes. So much for a healthy choice. maybe we can all just hope that food manufacturers stick to their ethical ideals and prioritize consumer welfare over profit. Also, we have to be more cautious about the brands we buy. Sure, we may get to save mo...
 (Total 111 words)