General
Researchers propose new treatment to prevent kidney stones: Modifier appears to dissolve crystals of the most common kidney stone

Researchers propose new treatment to prevent kidney stones: Modifier appears to dissolve crystals of the most common kidney stone

Shared by:

Researchers have found evidence that a natural fruit extract is capable of dissolving calcium oxalate crystals, the most common component of human kidney stones. This finding could lead to the first advance in the treatment of calcium oxalate stones in 30 years.

www.sciencedaily.com

31 Aug 2016 - General

"First advance in the treatment of calcium oxalate stones in 30 years" That is on one side a sad thing to hear. For 30 years did we really not discover anything new to better treat calcium oxalate renal stones? I think it is probably because less attention was paid for research in this area. Anyway, at least after 3 decades we have something new to look forward to. Treatment of renal calculi is either watchful waiting or surgical modality of stone removal. As far as I know, there were ...
 (Total 119 words)
Great article Marinelle Castro ! Potassium citrate has been notorious for its gastrointestinal side effects such as nausea , vomiting, and abdominal pain. Moreover, it can cause elevated potassium levels. Hydroxycitrate (HCA) will be a welcome medicine for the treatment of calcium oxalate stones. According to initial in vivo studies, it can break the calcium stones into fragments better than potassium citrate. It...
 (Total 104 words)
I hope this becomes a frontier in treating kidney stones. Actually since it is an inhibitor, perhaps it can also be used as a preventive measure for patients who are at risk for developing calcium stones. Its very unfortunate that until now there is no effective medical treatment for kidney stones. Patients usually suffer from excruciating pain and analgesics do not usually afford relief. Patients who have radioopaque stones usually go through Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) if cons...
 (Total 138 words)