General
How can you avoid patient no-shows and cancellations?

How can you avoid patient no-shows and cancellations?

Shared by:

In any clinic or institution, patient care most of the time involves follow-up visits. No-shows and cancellations of appointments, however, sometimes happen but can still be reduced. How can you avoid them?

today.mims.com

1 Sep 2016 - General

We can always do all we can, but we can never avoid "cancellations and no shows". Just a few weeks ago, I was driving to work knowing I had a full schedule from 10-4pm. On my way, my 10 am confirms her appointment and says she will be there despite the weather. As I was nearing the clinic, the rain continued to pour angrily from the skies and my 11am and 12am just cancelled--one was sick and the other trapped at home because of the weather. It was fine because my 10am turned out to be ...
 (Total 177 words)
Those are very good pointers and I see how all of them would work. If you are a doctor with a less demanding schedule I could see this working. Like everyone else here I don't want to sound biased but the reality is these suggestions aren't feasible. They are possible though through a good secretary or assistant. Like the discussion on the long waiting lines the secretary or assistant will be the front liner for this and we as doctors will do the rest of the talking later. The rapport re...
 (Total 170 words)
It is good if it can be avoided but not in this universe. Not all the patients, but one patient can make a doctor's day bad. Doctors are really busy with their life shedules. So if a patient needs to reschedule the appointment or doesn't have a will to see the doctor it is polite to let the doctor know that the patient wouldn't be able to appear. I am saying this not because I'm a doctor. But as a doctor I know how doctors go crazy with their busy life shedules. It is better if t...
 (Total 108 words)
I also agree with Marinelle. This situation is most often beyond our control as we cannot predict what decision the patients will take after they have set an appointment with the doctor. There are some god people, who if they are unable to come on the scheduled date or time, give a call and cancel the change the appointment in advance. But the majority are really careless, so we are left with not much to do about it. As Marinelle pointed out, a secretary or a personal assistant can help lessen t...
 (Total 102 words)
I think this is unavoidable because we cannot control how our patients decide. However, hiring a highly efficient clinic secretary can help out a lot in managing patient traffic. I personally know of a doctor who has a long list of scheduled patients during her clinic hours. Two days before the appointment, her secretary confirms the attendance of all her patients and she reminds them to come ahead of time, otherwise they would have to reschedule again if their time slot was already taken by ano...
 (Total 138 words)