General
3 common drugs that should be tapered off and how to do it

3 common drugs that should be tapered off and how to do it

Shared by:

Many medicines should not be stopped or withdrawn abruptly for fear of adverse, and sometimes disastrous, consequences. However, the danger of stopping certain drugs is not discussed frequently especially among junior healthcare professionals. There are great benefits to continuously raise awareness about this issue for the benefits of our patients.

today.mims.com

2 Sep 2016 - General

An useful article. You know? Usually anti-depressants also should not be withdrawn abruptly. Withdrawal of anti-depressants abruptly may cause anti-depressant discontinuation syndrome or anti-depressant withdrawal syndrome. This could be much more da...
 (Total 107 words)
Regarding beta-blockers, I think it depends on the indication. If the indication is rate control, in cases of hyperthyroidism-induced tachycardias, inherent arrhythmias etc, then it really needs to be tapered. But if it is being given as an adjuncti...
 (Total 115 words)
Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan Fortunately, there are no patients who have done a follow-up due to abrupt discontinuation of medicine for me. We use anti-convulsants (Gabapentin and Pregabalin...
 (Total 145 words)
This is timely article because just yesterday at a medical outreach I had a patient who abruptly stopped taking his beta blocker medication. He said he did so because he was told to take it every now and then only. He experienced rebound hypertension...
 (Total 145 words)
There are so many considerations that pharmacists have to face when working with patients. Tapering off dosage to prevent addiction, especially in the case of painkillers, is one of the main issues, but there can be many others.

Do pharmaci...
 (Total 93 words)
When recommending and prescribing medications to patients, it is also the responsibility of the health care professional to inform and warn the patient of the harmful effects of suddenly stopping their regimen. Though we have little control over pati...
 (Total 122 words)