General
Lack of key enzyme may cause alcohol dependence: Study

Lack of key enzyme may cause alcohol dependence: Study

Shared by:

The deficiency of enzyme, PRDM2 in the nerve cells of the frontal lobe leads to difficulty in controlling impulses, says research.

indianexpress.com

2 Sep 2016 - General

My point of view dependency on alcohol arises from prolong consumption over the years with reliance to it for sleep or to release tension. I did not know that it has to do something with the brain. From my understanding of the article, it sounds like anyone with sudden lack of enzyme and sudden impairment of the frontal lobe will make a person rely on alcohol? It just doesn't make sense to me. Correct me if i am wrong. I am no scientist. Just based on reading this article. No offence to you ...
 (Total 148 words)
IN my opinion it can be both ways. According to the article, it is the lack of the enzyme labeled PRDM2 that is causing alcohol dependence. But could it be possible that it is the long term consumption of alcohol that makes the production of this enzyme stop? And the dependence is mediated via another mechanism? I can understand the fact that they have demonstrated the point clearly by artificially inhibiting the production of this enzyme. It has shown to dampen the impulse control in rats. But ...
 (Total 105 words)