General
Nutmeg and Hallucinations

Nutmeg and Hallucinations

Shared by:

Not many know the creepy side of nutmegs, long touted to have health benefits - they are actually hallucinogenic, and the main substance which is said to cause this effect is called Myristicin, a natural organic compound as well as a proactive drug, acting as an anticholinergic.

today.mims.com

2 Sep 2016 - General

Mark Edmon Tan Haha really. Are the initial symptoms that bad. It must be like getting a hangover before getting high! :D Yeah you are right. If the general public gets to know this, in the future we will be seeing quite many patients coming with nutmeg toxicity. Jennifer Winter I have heard that putting a tablet of paracetamol, ...
 (Total 109 words)
Mark Edmon Tan 25 times? Well no wonder she overdosed. Let's say a baking recipe would have 1 teaspoon of nutmeg. 1 teaspoon is roughy 4 grams. 4 x 25= 100grams. A child died from 14 grams of nutmeg alone. I just searched a recipe with nutmeg and a nutmeg cake would have two teaspoons. This is really good information about the nutmeg and what dose is toxic. Ya it was a lot of muriatic acid haha. Needed to kil...
 (Total 109 words)
Jennifer Winter I am surprised to kown that it is possibly teratogenic too. One reported study did not show fetal complications after a pregant woman accidentally put 25 times the amount of nutmeg in a cookie recipe. Animal studies involving hamsters showed that 56 of 71 baby hamsters had CNS defects after their pregnant mothers were exposed to high doses of nutmeg. As for your story on muriatic acid, 2 gallons i...
 (Total 97 words)
Jennifer Winter I am surprised to kown that it is possibly teratogenic too. One reported study did not show fetal complications after a pregant woman accidentally put 25 times the amount of nutmeg in a cookie recipe. Animal studies involving hamsters showed that 56 of 71 baby hamsters had CNS defects after their pregnant mothers were exposed to high doses of nutmeg. As for your story on muriatic acid, 2 gallons i...
 (Total 97 words)
Alan Rosmadi I think the reason why we all weren't really aware of Nutmeg being used as a cheap high as it seems to be something popular in the US. I did firstly learn about it from a hollywood movie after all. Maybe you should experiment with this spice Theekshana Abayawickrama haha. It seems like it just gives you unpleasant ...
 (Total 163 words)
OUCH! Sad to hear the boy died. Jennifer Winter I am surprised to know of this information. If it were not for this post i would have no knowledge on this. This is very interesting to know how harmful a nutmeg can be to a person's health and to what extent it can go to. Causing unpleasant feelings after consuming is not something to be taken lightly. In fact causing palpitations too can be dangerous for some ...
 (Total 169 words)
Jennifer Winter This is a very interesting article. Nutmeg is also Pregnancy Category C and crosses the placenta to induce fetal tachycardia for 12 hours. Treatment is usually supportive with benzodiazepines reserved for psychomotor agitation. I did not know that buying large amount of muriatic acid will necessitate a poison control form either. Currently, there are no restrictions on buying nutmeg in our country...
 (Total 144 words)
I did not know that nutmeg has hallucinogenic effects. Now I can't stop myself from thinking of doing it. Seriously! A cheap high indeed. And one that you can take in front of the public and no one would take notice. Haha. I don't think we have any restrictions in my country for the amount of nutmeg that you can buy at stores or supermarkets. I think it is probably because the law makers and the police do not know that it is a spice that can be abused. If they know, I'm sure our guys...
 (Total 104 words)
A nutmeg high is called a "cheap high" as this can easily be picked up form the spice section in any supermarket. I first heard about Nutmeg's hallucinogenic abilities from the movie "Idle Hands" that came out in 1999. The main character played by Devon Sawa and his friends would snort nutmeg. I did a little research on the dosing and from what I gathered so far is that: 1 tablespoon on an empty stomach can cause unpleasant side effects (Utah Poison Control) and 1-3 teasp...
 (Total 155 words)