General
Can it wait till the morning? Nocturnal surgeries found to double mortality risks

Can it wait till the morning? Nocturnal surgeries found to double mortality risks

Shared by:

Patients who underwent surgery during the night are found to have twice the risk of mortality as patients operated on during regular working hours.

today.mims.com

2 Sep 2016 - General

Jennifer Winter You are right. It is confusing as to why the study was even ethically approved. An immediate intervention has to be done in case of acute cases such as surgical abdomen rega...
 (Total 121 words)
" Had you known that your surgeon had only gotten five hours of sleep the entire day before performing your scheduled hip surgery, would you ask for another doctor or change your surgery date?" A patient probably could not tell if a doctor ...
 (Total 148 words)
This article caught my eye. According to the research done the factors are: "The possible causes include provider fatigue during anaesthesia and surgery, overnight hospital staffing issues, delays in treatment or the patient being too sick to be...
 (Total 152 words)
I'm a little skeptic to attribute the poor outcomes of patients who had surgery in the evening to "doctor factors". For one, I'm sure surgeons won't operate unless its absolutely necessary to do so. In general, patients who usua...
 (Total 137 words)