General
Don't be a hero: why you shouldn't come to work when you're sick

Don't be a hero: why you shouldn't come to work when you're sick

Shared by:

A new working paper by the nonprofit National Bureau of Economic Research says presenteeism can be avoided by giving workers a financial incentive to stay in bed.

sg.finance.yahoo.com

3 Sep 2016 - General

Jennifer Winter Yes, doctors are really stubborn. Maybe it is because we have access to all the supportive treatment possible for an illness. I am guilty of getting the "works" so I can function. For example, I take racecadotril, bacillus clausii, oral rehydration solution to replace volume per volume, and vitamins containing zinc whenever I have to work with diarrhea. I think getting paid as incentive ...
 (Total 125 words)
Mark Edmon Tan: Grit personified huh? I never thought of it that way. haha thank you! But it was more of me not wanting to leave work for my group mates and not wanting to do make up duty. I mean I was still functioning and I washed my hands like crazy. They got pretty dry since I did not only wash them 18 times I also washed after handling others things. Us health care professionals are walking hypocrites. We te...
 (Total 136 words)
Kathleen Peralta I envy the protocol of the UK. It is really tough to work with diarrhea but older colleagues have used this an excuse way too many times that it becomes dubious to use it as an excuse. In the non-medical field, they call sick leave of LBM as an acronym for looking for better management haha I learned it from my brother because even he won't absent himself due to diarrhea. ...
 (Total 133 words)
Kathleen Peralta Yes only when genuinely sick and cannot function is when I don't enter. It was during clerkship when I had to beg off coming to the hospital. I had some viral infection and I was slowly conking out while in the OR. Others noticed that I was not looking all too well and I really wasn't able to think straight anymore. I guess my body did forget at one point or another hehe. Good thing the r...
 (Total 136 words)
Jennifer Winter me too! I would want to call in sick but can't just because I would feel guilty. haha. But then if I am genuinely sick, I would not definitely come as if mistakes happen due to me being unwell, that could compromise a patient's life as well as my profession. Oh yes! I heard a lot of that where I used to work, there would be some as well pretending to be sick just because the day is too nic...
 (Total 116 words)
Kathleen Peralta: Ya there is that hardworking Pinoy attitude of ours as if we miss work it would be "sayang" (a waste). The feeling of guilt is really huge though which makes going absent really difficult. Well since I was in the ER the adrenaline kept me moving and I was surprisingly functioning well. It was only the next morning, when the patient flow was low and my fellow interns were coming in for ...
 (Total 182 words)
I can understand, Filipinos as we are, we think of our work and colleagues and worry/ feel guilty if we call in sick or do not attend work. And as long as we can manage it, we still insist that we can do it. Jennifer Winter, I can't imagine how you managed the 24 hour shift, with 18 bowel movements while on shift. Were you still able to do everything you were expected to do? Or were you functioning lesses tha...
 (Total 113 words)
I get sick about once a year and that's it. As Mark Edmon Tan said, "I gauge the degree of communicability of my illness". I do that as well. It is very difficult to be absent here as manpower is that bad and all the work will fall onto your colleagues. This article doesn't really apply to us. Marinelle Castro ta...
 (Total 164 words)
I hardly get sick too but I had this bad virus which made me very ill, I coughed a lot, runny nose and sore throat but still I went to work as I feel guilty not to. I just wore mask all morning with me even though it was very uncomfortable. My manager saw that I was not really well, and offered for me to go home for the late shift and file it as annual leave since there is an extra staff. I was lucky I was sent home to rest, still get paid and my manager would have known how much I value work fo...
 (Total 176 words)
Marinelle Castro, yes it is really tough to be absent from residency training because the co-residents shoulder the burden. Work just seems to sprout from the ground and we cannot afford to be sick; however, I gauge the degree of communicability of my illness. If this is due to respiratory tract infection where I will most probably infect other residents, I opt to stay home because it will reduce the productivity...
 (Total 122 words)
Unfortunately, this cannot be applied among healthcare professionals in out country. Most especially if you're a resident physician, you'd think twice about being absent unless there is a valid reason why you should. I remember in surgical training, the dictum is, as long as you're not hospitalized, you cannot be absent. (Unless you have viral conjunctivitis or severe diarrhea). Absenteeism is a problem in residency training because there are repercussions. For one, there will be lac...
 (Total 137 words)
I hardly get sick, but I often get allergies so sometimes I'll still come to work but I'll be struggling with a runny nose. I also have asthma (and I get it once a year). I still go to work but it's a struggle. Basically if I have patients, I will definitely be there and sometimes I'll have a massive headache because of the runny nose so I'll drink meds and sleep in between patients. When I have allergies I go through a couple of masks the entire day, it's so annoying. Ha...
 (Total 185 words)
I hardly get sick, but I often get allergies so sometimes I'll still come to work but I'll be struggling with a runny nose. I also have asthma (and I get it once a year). I still go to work but it's a struggle. Basically if I have patients, I will definitely be there and sometimes I'll have a massive headache because of the runny nose so I'll drink meds and sleep in between patients. When I have allergies I go through a couple of masks the entire day, it's so annoying. Ha...
 (Total 185 words)
I agree with you Priscilla Mae, prevention is indeed and always better than cure. But sometimes, in other institutions who is understaff, sick leave is not the best option for them. As what my friend experienced, she is really sick and needed ample time of rest but she was not able to do so. 1st, is theres no one available who can relieve her in the ward. So, while she is taking care of her patients, she is a patient too who's in need of care. She even changed her IV to heplock so that she c...
 (Total 130 words)
I will definitely agree that we shouldn’t come to work when we are sick. In healthcare sector, we know that if we call in sick, we are putting much more burden of works onto our fellow colleagues, as the human resource are usually not able to get a locum worker to replace us with such a short notice. Hence, some or most of us will try our best to go in work even with some sickness. I think most of us have done it before for sure. But, we should not do so. As when we are sick, we are not able to...
 (Total 127 words)
Prevention is better than cure, but taking medications that can suppress the signs and symptoms will not suppress you to spread the bacteria. We also have these paid sick leaves in our country. I am not sure if the number of days differ from each institution. As to our hospital, we are entitled 2 weeks of paid sick leave annually. More than that, the Social security system also pays us for I guess also another 2 weeks. In our local practice, we usually don't go on sick leaves just for simple...
 (Total 209 words)