General
FDA bans some antibacterial chemicals in soaps

FDA bans some antibacterial chemicals in soaps

Shared by:

Some antibacterial washes can no longer be marketed, and there's no evidence they are any better than plain soap and water, FDA says.

edition.cnn.com

4 Sep 2016 - General

The moment I saw the title of this post, the first thing that came into my mind was "safeguard" Marinelle Castro. As the article mentioned, "companies will have one year to either remove the ingredients or no longer market their products before the final rule is effective". I did check on the link provided and it did say that it will be effective on September 6, 2017. So, I would like to assum...
 (Total 110 words)
Finally, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has banned the antibacterial soaps and body washes. It has been speculated for a while that antibacterial soaps and body washes were nor proven to better than the ordinary, regular soap. A lot of consumers will assume that antibacterial washes are much better or effective to kill the germs, but there are no scientific evidence to support it. It is possible that the ingredients in the antibacterial soaps will do more harm to us than good if using it...
 (Total 110 words)
This is a big news for those who prefer to use these products because it wards off illness. It is surprising that triclosan-containing agents do not have an additional benefit over regular soap and that it may lead to growth of drug-resistant bacteria. Triclosan has not been advocated in the field of dermatology because it reacts with light to induce photocontact dermatitis. I am really glad that we are moving on from triclosan and using new products that are safer to use for the general public....
 (Total 120 words)
After so many years of speculation over these anti-bacterial ingredients in soaps, finally the USFDA made a policy. There have been numerous studies done on this topic in the last 5 years and I've been wondering why no scientific organization is issuing a statement about it. I thought it probably had something to do with politics since majority of the companies have already made substantial profit over manufacturing these anti-bacterial ingredients. In the Philippines, a certain soap brand c...
 (Total 148 words)