General

Case--Control Study - An introduction

Created by:

5 Sep 2016 - General

Case-control study is a type of observational study. It is a retrospective study, in which the "case" is those having the specific disease, and "control" is the subjects without the specific disease. In case-control study, the investigators will identify the particular group of cohort with the specific disease/condition, and another cohort without the specific disease, and then looking retrospectively backward, in order to find the differences in the predictor factors that may explain why the subjects (with specific disease), got the disease, and why the control did not have the specific disease. This design of study can be used to look at uncommon disease or uncommon outcome. Case-control study cannot produce the estimate of the incidence or prevalence of a disease. It will produce an estimate of the strength of association between the predictor factors and the outcome. 

I remember in my University days when I try to memorise all these types of studies. Now, that I am working, my knowledge on research has been rusty and it is good to read things like this from time to time to refresh my memory. As for case-control study, it is mentioned that it is a retrospective study so what sort of researches would you think will be beneficial from this kind of study? Has this got restrictions with time or could take as long as the researchers would want? I'm sorry for as...
 (Total 108 words)