General
How to make your kid’s next visit to the doctor trauma-free

How to make your kid’s next visit to the doctor trauma-free

Shared by:

Visits to the doctor elicit different responses in children. For some, it is an unpleasant experience they dread to do. They may even wish to have never been there in the first place. For others, it may quite be the other way around. But how do you make that happen for your child?

today.mims.com

5 Sep 2016 - General

Kathleen Peralta I have consents for surgery and extraction that make patients and guardians sign. For sedation cases, we require clearance from the Pediatrician. Working with children is a struggle, but it's always a different experience from child-to-child. Just today I had a good boy, last Saturday I got kicked. Haha. Yes ...
 (Total 85 words)
For our pediatric visits, we usually orient our children on what to expect. Talking to them, even to our 8 month old daughter, really helps especially when they are due for vaccine in the sense that it becomes easier to comfort them. One advice we got from our pediatrician is to extend the words of encouragement and praise outside the clinic. For example, involving the grandparents will help build confidence of the child after undergoing a vaccination. You can tell grandpa to ask the brave littl...
 (Total 110 words)
Thank you for sharing this article. Helpful for everyone especially for the future moms. I have this experience when I was a child my mom told me that when we are done on our check up, she'll reward me for it. Well, it is really effective to bargain something in order for a child to overcome his/her fears. And I was once told that the procedure is not painful but!!!! No!! It is really painful. By then, I seldom visit my dentist. I got a little bit scared. But that happen during my childhood ...
 (Total 132 words)
I'm sure it is not an easy procedure to do, bearing in mind that they're kids and they'd would do whatever they please. I can imagine you chasing the kid around hahaha. Forcing the child to cooperate or stay still will never be an answer to procedures such as this. It would take a lot of cooperation from their end to be able to do this procedure. I'm just curious though, you know when children comes in for this kind of appointments, do parents sign a consent for this kind of proc...
 (Total 104 words)
It really depends on the child Kathleen Peralta. I have children who are brave and wont even flinch. I have those who'll just ask questions and when they're satisfied they let you go on. I have children who are scared and will tear or scream a little, but will have their mouths open, I do not mind that. I have children who are afraid but can be bargained with the 5 second promise, and they end up to be br...
 (Total 213 words)
I agree with you Dr Marinelle Castro, it is a good idea that for first time visits, should just be a check up, no trauma and just letting the child build rapport with the doctor or other healthcare professional. In that way, the child would be familiar with the environment and he/she can prepare for the next appointment. That's a very good practice Dr. ...
 (Total 186 words)
Oh yes Marinelle Castro. This is true. For first time visits, I always insist that we limit procedure to merely counting teeth. Just let them sit on the chair and get to know the mouth mirror (and other instruments). Some parents insist to get things done right away. But I really believe that they should see us as their friends first, so I encourage parents to take their children with them as spectators, when the...
 (Total 80 words)
I think the approach to making doctor/dental visits less traumatic for kids depends on the age group. Ideally the first visit should just be a check up so that they won't get traumatized by injections or any procedure. Its like introducing a "friend" to them. In this first visit , the health professional should be able to gain the trust of the child so that it won't be so difficult for the next appointment. For the succeeding consults involving procedures, it would be helpful f...
 (Total 119 words)
It's always a rollercoaster ride with children. Some will be easy and fun to treat so appointments are mostly play. Some will be challenging and you will definitely be stretched. Some will be impossible (without intervention). I agree with all the points here, most especially with #5. Be honest and give details as simple as possible. I get parents who lie to children and they expect me to be the bearer of bad news---parents who wink at me, telling me to agree with them when they say, "I...
 (Total 205 words)