General
Breakthrough dengue vaccine only safe for those with prior infections

Breakthrough dengue vaccine only safe for those with prior infections

Shared by:

As the world’s first dengue vaccine, Dengvaxia has attracted a lot of interest, especially with the current focus on mosquitoes due to fears of Zika. However, a quirk in its mechanism provides a risk for those who have not had a prior bout of dengue.

today.mims.com

5 Sep 2016 - General

Mark Edmon Tan Thank you for the explanation, but it still does not make sense to me. Parthenogenesis of dengue is mainly due to the immune reaction initiated by our healthy immune system. When the body is immunized against one viral strain, the body develop immune memory via memory T cells. When the body is infected with the second strain, the primary immune mechanism is triggered due to the first exposure of th...
 (Total 186 words)
In my understanding, the vaccine does emulate a silent infection without the symptoms. In normal viruses, this will do the trick for immunity because antibodies will develop memory. However, dengue virus does not work this way. A primary infection will only prime the immune system to an autoimmune reaction once a second infection occurs. Therefore, injecting the vaccine to a person with no exposure to dengue will just accelerate priming of his/her immune system to manufacture autoimmune antibodi...
 (Total 168 words)
I agree with Theekshana Abayawickrama very confusing. Well, at least what i understand is they found it! After so many years of research. Great job done for the team who managed to do this. This vaccine will benefit so many of us in this world that are affected by dengue. If only it came out earlier, many lives could have been saved. Now that it is known that there is a vaccine, I hope they can do some bolt tighte...
 (Total 113 words)
Well, the content of this article is pretty confusing. According to the article "It is a live recombinant tetravalent dengue vaccine and can be prescribed for the prevention of dengue caused by all four dengue virus serotypes" In my understanding, the vaccine gives cover for all 4 subtypes of dengue. And the nature of dengue is that once a person is infected with one serotype, patient develops immunity for that serotype. and a second infection with the same serotype do not cause the di...
 (Total 115 words)
I really despise this disease. I read the statistics at the end of the article for Singapore and Malaysia and decided to look up how bad it is this year for us here in the Philippines. From January to June 2016 we had 57,026 dengue cases reported with 248 deaths. This is the count from before we entered the rainy season. The cases now are popping up like mushrooms where I know countless people, friends included, who were inflicted with Dengue this year. The vaccine truly as an oxymoron ...
 (Total 127 words)
It is my understanding that getting infected with 1 of the 4 subtypes of dengue provides immunity to that particular subtype up to a period of 15 years. I guess this vaccine provides immunity to all 4 subtypes of dengue?

Also, bringing along the risk of a worse infection for those who have no been infected with dengue before seems to be a bit of an oxymoron, since the whole point of vaccination is to prevent infection! I guess it would be useful for those who already have a prior infec...
 (Total 103 words)