General
Sleep Apnea: A silent killer

Sleep Apnea: A silent killer

Shared by:

Sleep apnea is a fairly dangerous condition because most might not even know about it and treat it as a snoring condition. Often times, clinicians fail to diagnose it properly because it occurs only during sleep and there is no blood test to diagnose it.

today.mims.com

5 Sep 2016 - General

Sleep apnoea is one or more pauses during breathing or shallow breathing. Usually 30 times or below per minute and a pause can last from seconds to minutes. The commonest and the most dangerous apnoea type is obstructive sleep apnoea which is commen is obese people. Most of the time the particular person may not aware about the presence of the condition and it is often detected by the family members. It is diagnosed by overnight sleep studies. Quitting alcohol and smoking, weight control and sle...
 (Total 115 words)
Kathleen Peralta Daytime somnolence and feeling excessively fatigued are both important symptoms of sleep apnea. I think that a patient should seek consult if these symptoms already interferes with activities of daily living. For example, if the patient becomes less productive at work because he feels the need to take a nap or worse, if he sleeps at work, then this warrants a consultation. While being fatigued s...
 (Total 128 words)
Good stuff. I was about to read up on this and found it here! LOL. Anyway, sleep apnea can happen to anyone. But what decreases your chances are by regular exercises and a healthy & balanced diet. Also, for the smokers who have been smoking for many years, you probably say you don't have sleep apnea but u sure have it unknowingly. I still smoke on & off and my family members do notice the symptoms sometimes and they sometimes get a shocked! hahaha.. But jokes aside, alcoholism is als...
 (Total 114 words)
Patients with Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) will usually have snoring, daytime somnolence, restless sleep, periods of silence terminated by loud snoring, fatigue, poor concentration, nocturnal angina, nocturia, and morning headaches. The risk factors of having obstructive sleep apnea are increased age, male (2-3 times more common in male, comparing to female), obesity, craniofacial and upper airway abnormalities. It can be diagnosed by sleep study (polysomnography). There are a lot of complicati...
 (Total 114 words)
Dr Marinelle Castro, as you've said "People who feel excessively tired during the day even if they had adequate sleeping hours may suffer from this condition." Sometimes people may take this for granted and would just said that they didn't get enough sleep, like you said. If this is the case, when would you think, a person should start to worry? I mean, when do you think "daytime somnolence...
 (Total 113 words)
I have read that obstructive sleep apnoea in obese people can increase their chance of developing ischemic heart disease. I am not sure if there is a direct relationship between sleep apnoea and heart disease, or is it a concurrent occurrence because generally many people who have sleep apnoea are obese and share other risk factors for coronary artery disease like old age, metabolic syndrome, smoking, sedentary lifestyle, etc. Or perhaps during these brief durations of apnoea, because patients b...
 (Total 110 words)
Sleep apnea is a serious condition and can be easily diagnosed by the said diagnostics Marinelle Castro has mentioned. People tend to think that we snore because we were overly tired. Classic picture of one with sleep apnea is an overweight individual who snores with night time awakenings and is sleepy throughout the day. There are those who get the connection and say that the person snores because they are overw...
 (Total 118 words)
The most important clue that a person may be suffering from sleep apnea is daytime somnolence. People who feel excessively tired during the day even if they had adequate sleeping hours may suffer from this condition. Unfortunately sometimes people think that they "just didn't get enough sleep" so they don't seek consultation because of this problem. Also in the Philippines, snoring may be considered "normal" especially for those people who are fatigued from work and o...
 (Total 110 words)