General
The giant panda is no longer an endangered species

The giant panda is no longer an endangered species

Shared by:

The giant panda is now officially no longer an endangered species, with officials announcing over the weekend that it’s been downgraded from

www.sciencealert.com

5 Sep 2016 - General

Maria Cristina Inserto I don't know about this Ocean park, but I am guessing it is quite a big place. So there's only one Panda for that entire park? That's a pity. with the 17% increase in population I hope they could afford another! :D I remember something like that happened when I was a kid. Our one and only zoo those days had received an Orangutan as a donation from another country, and the news wa...
 (Total 180 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama it is definitely due to poaching and hunting for sport. I cannot wrap my head around "hunting for sport". Why would you want to kill a living thing for fun? Play a computer game or go to shooting range! We cannot turn back time so fortunately we have worked out ways to help these poor creatures from extinction. It really deeply saddens me to know that in my lifetime animals are f...
 (Total 248 words)
The two times I was in Ocean Park, HK I wanted to see the panda but both times it was asleep. Hehe. Anyway this is amazing news, to be able to revert status of pandas from endangered to vulnerable---wow! I hope we hear the same news about some of the endangered species of the world too. A seventeen percent increase in population is definitely impressive. Now maybe they can add a few more pandas to Ocean Park so that when I revisit, I'd have better chances--JUST KIDDING! Science, political wi...
 (Total 105 words)
Hands down to Chinese government for doing such a brilliant job and turning the tables. From being endangered to "vulnerable". However, this may be a joyous event at the moment, we can't still help but worry about the possibility of their habitat to be eliminated in the years to come and Pandas getting endangered again, and the efforts of today would have gone to waste. :( Sad but true, in a world where infrastructures are built for the growing population, it is now getting difficu...
 (Total 112 words)
Jennifer Winter It is really saddening to see the names that are in the red data book. You are correct, at present, if they are not conserved and protected by us they would become extinct. But when we look back in to time, there is often some acts of human's that lead them to these creatures being endangered. Hunting for sport, cutting down forests, destroying their natural habitat, water pollution, If these ...
 (Total 116 words)
I actually was clapping my hands and exclaimed with a "Yey!" when I read that title. That is such great news about the panda. If I didn't become a doctor I could totally see myself in my other dream of becoming a Vet and going off to some part of the world and save some endangered species. It truly saddens me when I see the list of endangered species realizing that if they are not protected they may just become extinct. The Northern White Rhino is critically endangered as there are...
 (Total 177 words)
Isn't this just fascinating news. I cannot remember any other species that made their way out of the list of endangered species. Do you know of any? And to know that it was made possible by the effort of humans, who are often the main cause for animals being endangered, it is amazing. The population of Panda s were decreasing at such a rapid rate that scientists were predicting that panda s would be extinct in three generations. And in just 7 years the table has turned. The Chinese governmen...
 (Total 100 words)