General
The FDA just banned antibacterial soaps because they're not safer or cleaner than regular soap

The FDA just banned antibacterial soaps because they're not safer or cleaner than regular soap

Shared by:

The US Food and Drug Administration banned antibacterial soaps on Friday because they’re not better, cleaner, or safer than regular soap.

www.sciencealert.com

5 Sep 2016 - General

Kathleen Peralta Oh I see. Somehow I have missed that post. But when you look at it, the two titles are saying 2 different things right? One says "FDA bans some antibacterial chemicals in soaps" which essentially means it is not the soap that has been banned but including the antibacterial chemicals in the soaps. The second article, which I have shared states "The FDA just banned antibacterial soap...
 (Total 122 words)
We have that soap too, Safeguard, is it sold with the same name Theekshana Abayawickrama? Recently a meme was released questioning why they leave a percentage of the bacteria and Safeguard answered---but I'm too lazy to find it now, I can't remember the funny answer it gave. Anyway, now I am worried because we actually buy antibacterial soaps and washes thinking they're supposed to be helpful. You'...
 (Total 102 words)
I have heard a few people make that comment about the 99.99% killing of bacteria as well. I believe although that this is advertised as such because the soap is bacteriostatic and not bactericidal. I did wonder some time ago about anti-bacterial soaps and antibiotic resistance and the article just confirmed that "triclosan can increase bacterial antibiotic resistance..." I personally never really used antibacterial soaps at home as the main point was to wash your hands with soap and wa...
 (Total 102 words)
I think scientifically they have a point. but why now after hundreds and thousands of surgeries and procedures have been done and they start testing for all these? I think what matters is your technique of hand washing that plays a vital role. I think all soap are equally clean and could disinfect most bacteria and germs with the proper technique done. For example in the operating theater, why don't they do normal hand washing and instead scrub? Cause it is the technique that removes most of...
 (Total 109 words)
Hi Theekshana Abayawickrama, I think a similar topic has already been discussed in the community. Please see the link: https://community.mims.com/general/11405/fda-bans-some-antibacterial-chemicals-in-soaps . However, your mom's comment on the 0.001 precent bacteria is hilarious. Like you, we have got this particular soap too (please see previous discussion) that is in the advert all the time which advocates t...
 (Total 110 words)
We have a television advertisement that is being telecasted quite frequently on all TV channels. It is a so called antibacterial soap. And guess what their tag line is. "A soap that kills 99.99% bacteria" My mother used to joke at this saying, the other 0.001 percent bacteria must be super strong! :D These soap manufactures use many marketing strategies to increase the sale of their products, but now we have scientific evidence to say that these 'antibacterial' soap are no bett...
 (Total 130 words)