General

Fruit of the day - Starfruit or Carambola

Created by:

6 Sep 2016 - General

The most unique visual quality of the star fruit is its shape, that of a perfect star when it's cut across the middle. There are two varieties; the challenge is telling them apart, which you'll want to do, because one is deliciously sweet. Uses for star fruit include juice drinks or blends, smoothies, salsa, chutney, and salads, although they're also good to eat as is, like an apple. Cooked, the tart varieties work well for imparting a uniquely tart zing to poultry, meat, and seafood dishes, and even cooked desserts. Because they have a tendency to bruise, it's best to buy star fruits while they're firm, and handle with care. 

The greatest amount of nutrients in star fruit is derived from vitamin C, providing 76 percent of the daily recommended value in a single one-cup serving. Vitamin C is called an essential vitamin because it is needed by the body to form collagen in the bones, cartilage, muscle, blood vessels, and aids in the absorption of iron. Also, one of the most notorious consequences of a lack in vitamin C is scurvy, which early sailors discovered and remedied with all types of tropical fruits, including star fruit. Although it's rare, scurvy can have severe consequences, so treatment for patients with scurvy typically begins with vitamin C.

Smaller amounts of dietary fiber, copper, pantothenic acid, and potassium (which can prevent muscle cramps by increasing blood circulation) are important components of this fruit. B-complex vitamins like folates, riboflavin, and pyridoxine (Vitamin B6)  are also present and team up to perform various synthetic functions inside the body, such as forming metabolizing enzymes.

I have two Starfruit trees at my home, and they and today when I got home my mother brought me a plate of starfish. I like it very much when the are sliced (They have this star shape when they are sliced, and I think that is how they got their name) with a pinch of salt and pepper powder. Have you tried it that way? Well,by the way I'm sure that the increase in sexual desire is not limited to my country my people. Maybe you can do a controlled trial to see if it really makes a difference in ...
 (Total 107 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama i am surprised myself, to know that this fruit increases sexual desire in your country. That is good to know. haha.. Anyway, Carambola is Spanish and the scientific name is Averrhoa Carambola L. It is believed to be originated from Indonesia. Maybe we can suggest to our fellow scientific researcher buddies to look into the properties you mentioned. At least we get a "clearer" pic...
 (Total 99 words)
Wow. I did not know that this fruit grows in other countries outside mine. And I honestly did not know the English name for this fruit! :D What language is Carambola by the way? In my language it is called 'Kamaranga". The literal meaning of that name is kind if hilarious. It is something like "erotic dance" :D people say that eating this fruit increases the sexual desire and gives the person the ability to delay climaxing, hence the name erotic dance. I am sure there are no e...
 (Total 108 words)