General
Learning foreign languages may sharpen your mind: study

Learning foreign languages may sharpen your mind: study

Shared by:

The neurophysiological mechanics of language and speech acquisition are underexplored when compared to the brain's other functions.

indianexpress.com

6 Sep 2016 - General

Marinelle Castro That research of yours sounds very interesting. So if you find out which tenet contributes to more cross-over connections what would you want this information to give to us? I hope you will be able to do this research. It sounds fascinating but also pricey as it seems like you may need to use some expensive set of equipment to do that....
 (Total 188 words)
I have time when I am sailing on vessels and most of my time watching movies and work. But then i got tired of movies and my eyesight was getting worst, so i started learning Spanish online and from apps. I only started learning it early this year but have yet to speak fluently. But recognizing words and meanings is fine. Honestly, learning another language takes a lot of effort and dedication, but also fun as you get to speak to those Spanish speaking people using their language. In another way...
 (Total 114 words)
Learning new things can sharpen your mind because of the new synaptic connections created as we learn. I think special attention is being given to language because its one of the regions of the brain that has been well studied and documented. Language is also a domain that is dynamic, so distant synapses are made to create commissural connections. One of the research ideas that I have (which I cannot apparently do as of the moment) is to compute commissural fiber density (computed via 3D reconst...
 (Total 113 words)
I could definitely see how learning a new language could make our brains sharper. It said in the article: "Yuriy Shtyrov, one of the authors of the study, said that the more languages someone mastered, the faster the neuron network coding the information on the new words was formed."---the acquisition or learning of new languages is easier later in life when you know more than two before a certain age which I cannot recall. Learning many languages early opens our brains ability to be a...
 (Total 168 words)
My sister grew up doing different accents. She was very young then and she loved doing all kinds of accents---Jamaican, French, Chinese, German, British etc. In London, she took up languages and fell in love with French. In University, she decided to minor in French and took a junior term in France where she was able to properly immerse. Even as a student French locals said that her accent was superb---she was doing accents almost all her life, her tongue and her mind is quite flexible. Now she ...
 (Total 192 words)