General
What it’s like to work with a dead body

What it’s like to work with a dead body

Shared by:

Medical students recall their experience of being faced with a cadaver for the first time. It’s a rite of passage, they acknowledge and the nerves don’t take long to settle once they discover the wonders of the human body.

today.mims.com

6 Sep 2016 - General

In the medical school that I used to study in, students would indeed say a prayer before working on the cadavers, as a form of respect. Instead of calling them cadavers, we also called them silent mentors, as they taught us a multitude of knowledge o...
 (Total 107 words)
Funny story Leothel Elysse Mayores. Hihihi! Oh my that's an even scarier urban legend Mark Edmon Tan, I haven't heard th...
 (Total 21 words)
Marinelle Castro ah yes the extra hours in the lab to study for practicals. Sometimes we would request for special entry into the college on Sundays but I hardly showed up for that. haha I ...
 (Total 147 words)
Oooh, I have one very vivid memory of my cadaver days! It was our Gastro Anatomy practical Exam, and our professor had 5 cadavers with strings attached to a specific part, with papers attached on the other side of the string for questions. We had to ...
 (Total 132 words)
Maria Cristina Inserto Jennifer Winter Oh I remember the smell of formalin. Its so horrible that I think it sticks at the back ...
 (Total 122 words)
Ya bone assembling. Good times. We started out as 82 and graduated with around 64 but only 57 or so from the original class. My highest in the boards was pathology..strangely haha. Well despite missing out on an opportunity to deal with cadavers ...
 (Total 100 words)
Maria Cristina Inserto: Ya that smell is just horrible. The first day was adjustment period and your nose eventually in a way gets used to it. Then you would need to wash the cadavers again ...
 (Total 193 words)
Oh yes Jennifer Winter The smell of formalin is crazy. Even on a cat and a shark it can give you headaches. Yeah, we figured it may be the shortage of cadavers. But I swear at first it we...
 (Total 78 words)
My cadaver experience was fine. Back in undergrad during our "University Day" celebration the college of medicine would have an open house of the anatomy lab where they would show us the cadavers and point out the parts to us. When I got to...
 (Total 209 words)
I still remember how much I got scared of a cadaver at a medical exhibition held at a medical faculty in Sri Lanka. That was years before I entered medical college. In the very first year we had to do dissections and study along withe parts of dead b...
 (Total 110 words)
I never got to work with a cadaver. My older dentist uncle, got to during his time, but it was long stopped before I even got to Pre-Dentistry. I was looking forward to it--not excited that I want to experience it, I wanted to know what I'd feel,...
 (Total 175 words)