General
The unofficial medical jargon

The unofficial medical jargon

Shared by:

"What’s the 411? Spill the juice and tell me straight up all the deets. I am cereal here." Without knowing the meaning of this slang you would think the person is asking for a code, is wanting someone to throw juice and is saying that they are a breakfast food. Translated into common English the person is asking for information, wants the other to tell them everything truthfully with all the details and that they are being serious.

today.mims.com

6 Sep 2016 - General

You Yi Hong: NKDA for allergies. Completely forgot about that one. I would use that acronym actually as I believe, like NPO, it is an official medical acronym. This reminds me of ANST. Familiar with this one? After Negative Skin Test. This is alongside NPO is one of the most common acronyms I see or write in charts especially in admitting orders. Ah and here are a few common ones as well TTO-to take over in place...
 (Total 94 words)
Ya Theekshana Abayawickrama , I remember during 1 of the ward round few years ago, 1 of the senior in the team member was really mad at 1 poor SHO who wrote in her admission notes that “ All physical examinations are NAD !!!” I would say good detailed documentation and avoid the use of acronym will be the best practice. Ok ...
 (Total 127 words)
Jennifer Winter Yeah there are way too many official and unofficial acronyms that it is hard for me too to remember which one is which :) You Yi Hong NAD for Not Actually Done. Haha I laughed so much at that! :D D We also use NAD here for 'no abnormality detected', and there actually are times that we do not examine a part...
 (Total 104 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama ah yes the general aversion of patients towards good old paracetamol. I have seen PCM written in charts before but I see PCT more often. For the surgical procedures I & D is definitely something we use as well here. I thought this was an official medical acronym though? I think due to all these acronyms and other jargon I may have mixed up the official and unofficial ones. ...
 (Total 130 words)
Thanks for sharing Jennifer Winter Theekshana Abayawickrama Mark Edmon Tan . I will share some of the medical acronym and medical jargon that I encountered. Most of time, I can figure out based on experience, but sometime I am still not able to deci...
 (Total 133 words)
For paracetamol what we use is PCM. Not only writing, even when speaking we say 'give him some PCM'. People understand the word paracetamol, so when they overhear us saying that he needs paracetamol, they are generally not content, but PCM always works! :D We use PERTL. Pupils equally reactive to light. BB or VB to describe breath sounds. (Bronchial Breathing / Vesicular Breathing) BS+ or BS- to indicate if bowel sounds are heard in the abdomen. And CTS - Continue Same Treatment. Some of...
 (Total 118 words)
Mark Edmon Tan: ah I will keep that in mind for NICRD. LICS I figured may be intercostal space but thought "lower" haha. Close with the NRRR. Normal Rate Regular Rhythm. We should make a list somewhere of all the medical acronyms used in Philippine hospitals. We really should avoid using acronyms that aren't official but for the sake of having something to refer to when given a chart with such short...
 (Total 127 words)
Jennifer Winter This is the downside for using acronyms that are not internationally accepted because it confuses doctors from other hospitals. NICRD stands for not in cardiorespiratory distress and LICS stands for left intercostal space (for the point of maximal impulse of the heart). What is NRRR? My guess would be normal rate and rhythm and R haha. One trivia concerning stroke. It was explained to us in reside...
 (Total 159 words)
Mark Edmon Tan: Definitely an interesting discussion. Its interesting to know how we all have our set of medical jargon in our different places. I believe the physical examination acronyms you have there are common for us here in the Philippines. I do have to say that NICRD and LICS are not familiar to me. Unless I take time to try to figure them I haven't personally used those two. PERRLA- pupils equally rou...
 (Total 143 words)
This is a very good point of discussion here in the MIMS community! Various hospitals even have their own jargon. For our hospital, HASCVD stands for hypertensive atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease. I think this is not an official acronym. There is also some confusion between the acronym CVD between different services. For our specialty, CVD refers to cerebrovascular disease (stroke). The cardiology service calls it cardiovascular disease. Who can forget the acronyms for physical examination...
 (Total 98 words)
I have encountered quite a few "unofficial medical jargon" over the years. I heard the acronym FLK from a Pediatrician as he was discussing to us congenital malformations. I don't think he ever wrote this down on a chart though. The acronym GPO, on the other hand, I believe I heard it before in a medical drama called "Monday Mornings" where the transplant surgeon was scavenging for donors and found a gunshot patient who was a "GPO". I know that for medications w...
 (Total 133 words)