General

Childhood memories: Our first day of school

Created by:

6 Sep 2016 - General

So it has been a while since we posted our random non-medical topic where we pull together to share our thoughts and experiences outside the realm of medicine. I would like to have us share our first day of school experiences. I am sure most if not even all of us can remember that far back as it is a distinct moment in our lives. 

My first day of school (or at least it is one of the first few days in nursery) I couldn't speak in English but I was mixed in the general nursery class anyway. My teacher had some drawings on the chalkboard. She pointed at one and asked me if I knew what it was. Being the bright kid that I was (ehem haha) I told her that is was a "Fenster". She told me I was wrong and that is was a drawing of a window. I insisted that it was Fenster but she still continued to tell me that it was something called a "window". I got so frustrated that I cried and my mom and dad had to come to school. My teacher talked to my parents and said that I kept on calling the window a "Fenster". My mom laughed and said that "Fenster" was the German word for window. I was correct all along. I had to go to ESL classes from then on. :D

Any interesting memories from that far back any of you want to share?

Mark Edmon Tan: oh you little non-conformist. That is really cute haha. So you didn't like coloring inside the lines either then huh? I mean in your defense black is not exactly a color but the absence of light. ;) Maria Cristina Inserto: I went to a play school or to a daycare type school when I was two or three when we still ...
 (Total 170 words)
I grew up with my grandma (because my dad was a military officer). To keep me busy they sent me to playschool, which wasn't really a thing before, so basically they talked to the neighborhood preschool and made arrangements for me to come in as a "fake student", and so I have very vague memories of my first day of school, being only 2 years old. I remember being allowed to go home any time I want---and one clear memory I have was when my dad came home from a long assignment in the ...
 (Total 165 words)
Awesome topic! My earliest and significant recollection at nursery school was having delicious snacks haha I always loved the minatamis na saba ( banana with caramel glaze) and would visit other classes if they were not serving this in our own class :)) For the classroom experience, I remember this time when teacher Jonathan (yes, I still remember his name vividly) asked us to shade a cat figure using black crayon. As a kid, I have always resented the color black that I even asked my grandfather...
 (Total 175 words)
Marinelle Castro Leothel Elysse Mayores catch dragon flies or even butterflies :) Good times. Then there was searching for baka-bakas. I don't really like insects but I really like that bug. It has such a cute child friendly name and it is a quite slow and timid creature as well. There seemed to be a lot of play time in my nu...
 (Total 144 words)
Marinelle Castro I remember catching dragonflies as a kid! I even tried doing it once last month when I got the chance (I set him free afterwards). I loved the thrill and dragonflies are magical to me. I also remember catching fireflies as a child, and setting them free inside the mosquito net. :) Jennifer Winter I remember clearl...
 (Total 125 words)
The earliest memory that I have of being in school was back in nursery days. I can't remember how it was inside the classroom because I tend to get bored with repeated lessons. Our teacher have the tendency to repeat the lessons at least 2-3x! I'm not sure if any of you guys noticed this back in nursery! Anyway, all I can remember was having some friends to play with and we'd usually run to the garden during break time to play or catch dragonflies. Im not sure if this was popular in ...
 (Total 120 words)