General

Fruit of the day - Honeydew Melon

Created by:

7 Sep 2016 - General

Honeydew melon makes a refreshing treat on a hot summer day, but it’s also a low-calorie and healthy choice any time you need to feed a craving for sweets. 

Vitamin C

One cup of cubed honeydew provides 34 percent of the recommended daily intake of vitamin C.  Free radicals are the natural byproduct of normal chemical processes, but they damage cells if they’re not neutralized by an antioxidant such as vitamin C. our body also needs vitamin C for the synthesis of collagen, which is used to support blood vessels, ligaments and skin.

Potassium

Muscles, nerves, the heart and blood vessels all rely on the presence of potassium for normal functioning. Potassium is capable of carrying an electric charge that stimulates and regulates muscle contractions and communication between nerves. potassium maintains a regular heart beat and the tone of blood vessel walls. Getting enough potassium in your diet is associated with maintaining a normal blood pressure.

Vitamin B-6

Like other B vitamins, vitamin B-6 functions as a coenzyme, which means it must be present for enzymes to activate chemical processes. It’s used by more than 100 enzymes, many of which metabolize protein. Vitamin B-6 must be present for the creation of serotonin, a neurotransmitter that helps regulate mood and sleep.

Fiber

Honeydew melon contains soluble and insoluble fiber. Soluble fiber helps keep blood sugar balanced by slowing the absorption of carbohydrates. It also lowers cholesterol by carrying it out of the body. Insoluble fiber is the type of dietary fiber that keeps food moving through the digestive tract, preventing constipation and some types of gastrointestinal disease. 

Oh so this is a fruit? I did not know! I have seen this in the supermarkets. But to be honest I did not know what this fruit is really called, not even in my mother tongue., But I thought it was a vegetable because if I remember right they were in the vegetables section! :D One cup of cubed honeydew provides 34 percent of the recommended daily intake of vitamin C. That is a larger percentage of the daily requirement of vitamin C. I don;t think many fruits have that much of vitamin C. I guess hav...
 (Total 113 words)
When I first read the article, I was immediately searching for the potassium content of honeydew melon. Melons' potassium contents are underrated/ underestimated. It is a good source of potassium to keep the heart healthy and maintain the physiologic resting membrane potential of cells. Also, new studies show that adequate potassium intake maintains the gradient caused by the sodium-potassium pump that will in turn lead to lower blood pressure. I did not know that is was also a good source ...
 (Total 104 words)