General
Debunking strange Filipino health myths

Debunking strange Filipino health myths

Shared by:

The Filipino culture will not be complete without the beliefs and myths passed on to us by our older generations. However, as healthcare professionals, it’s our duty to inform our patients of the truths behind these myths.

today.mims.com

7 Sep 2016 - General

Im not sure if anyone is familiar with this. Im actually surprised that some of my friends who recently gave birth are using a "bigkis" for their child. Its like a piece of cloth or any similar material thats wrapped around the waist of the...
 (Total 105 words)
We used to have two pet geckos (tuko) back at home, and I remember once my lola told us that a man was looking for large geckos and was willing to pay a high amount . They say that the gecko's blood is by Chinese to cure asthma. Most of us at hom...
 (Total 143 words)
#1. Step over a child---Hahaha. We used to like really get mad at people who walk over our stretched legs because of this myth. Crazy. #2. But then there are weird coincidences, right? So Filipinos being very superstitious would naturally put meaning...
 (Total 140 words)
@Jemar Nicdao What about getting pasma (hand tremors) because you washed your hands immediately after doing work? If this were true, everyone in the health sector would have had hand tremors because we practice good hand hygiene. It is still hard for...
 (Total 153 words)
Jemar Nicdao: Ah right "binat" haha. I have friends who practiced that despite being health care professionals themselves. They mainly did it to put their parents or in-laws at ea...
 (Total 31 words)
I had to cringe at the wiping menstrual blood on your face to prevent acne. Ughhh. I actually never heard of that one. The paglilihi one is still the cutest for me. I really like that if you eat a twin banana you can give birth to twins. They are of ...
 (Total 153 words)
I'm sure all Filipinos are familiar with at least one of these myths! And I'm sure one can add more to this list.

The most familiar myths for me here are "paglilihi," and sleeping with wet hair resulting to blindness. These...
 (Total 52 words)