General
Protein in human hair can better identify individuals compared to DNA

Protein in human hair can better identify individuals compared to DNA

Shared by:

Scientists have discovered unique protein markers in hair that could be used alongside DNA profiling for improved human identification.

today.mims.com

7 Sep 2016 - General

DNA identification using hair follicle strands will be best used in paternity test (because of its accessibility) and as well as when a certain person is unidentifiable (e.g. who died from flood, earthquake, etc. As long as he or she can't be identify by the family.) But for forensic purposes it may do but the only negative side of it is the suspect can easily plant someones hair to trap him /her down especially when the killing is planned. As what i have read about DNA testing there is no “...
 (Total 148 words)
I love watching crime investigation tv shows and movies. Hair is always a good lead for identifying suspects but it can be planted quite easily. I don't know if you remember the film Gattaca, Ethan Hawke was able to fake his way through training by taking hair and urine samples from Jude Law. So yes, it is not always the definitive forensic evidence. It could be, but the mere presence of a single strand of hair and nothing more, shouldn't be enough. For paternity tests, it is the easiest...
 (Total 121 words)
I love watching crime investigation tv shows and movies. Hair is always a good lead for identifying suspects but it can be planted quite easily. I don't know if you remember the film Gattaca, Ethan Hawke was able to fake his way through training by taking hair and urine samples from Jude Law. So yes, it is not always the definitive forensic evidence. It could be, but the mere presence of a single strand of hair and nothing more, shouldn't be enough. For paternity tests, it is the easiest...
 (Total 121 words)
Hair follicle testing, though expensive, is used for drug testing as it can reflect drug use for the past 90 days. Now, DNA testing is another area where the human hair can be potentiallyy helpful. I agree that it is good for paternity testing as it is non-invasive compared to swab tests; however, I do not agree with its use for forensics as of now because no definite guidelines are set in place to exclude "suspects". Hair from visitors can easily drop during their visit and this cou...
 (Total 134 words)