General
Babies born by caesarean section are more likely to be obese, study finds

Babies born by caesarean section are more likely to be obese, study finds

Shared by:

Babies born by caesarean section are more likely to experience obesity than children delivered via vaginal birth, a new study has found.

www.sciencealert.com

8 Sep 2016 - General

Jennifer Winter Oh that's very similar to what my mother has had. My mother also had a blood pressure spike before delivery and that was the reason why they decided to rush her to the theater. I have not seen any of the records but she has been told that if the doctors were 30 minutes late neither me nor my mother would have made it! And yeah your argument about the obesity being more due to the way children...
 (Total 121 words)
I am a CS baby--not at all obese and there wasn't a time in my life when I was overweight. My mom was very petite, so maybe that's why she had a caesarian birth, I cannot ask her anymore now. I thought most women want normal births (vaginal births) because there's no scar, easier to recover from and it's more affordable? Most of my girl friends had CS births though, but I never bothered to ask why. I wonder what about the mother’s vaginal and gastrointestinal microbiota affects a...
 (Total 111 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama: I am a CS baby as well and I'm not obese either. My mom underwent CS because of a spiking blood pressure. Not sure if she was pre-eclamptic or just PIH and elected for CS because she didn't want the pain either. I find their speculation of the cause being less exposed to the mother’s vaginal and gastrointestinal microbiota interesting, but I don't think that would be it. Aside...
 (Total 159 words)
It is interesting to know that the babies born with caesarean section are associated with higher risk of obesity during both of the childhood period and during their adulthood time, comparing to those who are born through normal vaginal delivery. The speculation of theory of less exposure to the mother’s vaginal and gastrointestinal microbiota may have play a role in the children dietary development and weight as they grow older. However, there are also some known and unknown confounding factors...
 (Total 109 words)
People in the current generation prefer cesarean section over normal vaginal delivery. Normal vaginal delivery is the preferred method of delivery, and caesarean section is associated with a higher risk of complications and long term morbidity and mortality. But people have a negative attitude towards normal delivery because it can be an extremely painful experience. NOw there's evidence that children born by cesarean section have a higher risk of being obese. Yet another reason to discourag...
 (Total 126 words)