General
The impact of video gaming on children - what healthcare professionals need to know

The impact of video gaming on children - what healthcare professionals need to know

Shared by:

Glued in front of a computer, the television screen or tablet, a child or even an adult can spend hours upon hours immersed in a world of fantasy – knights saving princesses from dragons or in go-kart races sped up by mushrooms. There is far more than meets the eye when it comes to video gaming though, and all healthcare professionals need to be aware of the potential impacts.

today.mims.com

8 Sep 2016 - General

I definitely agree with Jennifer Winter and Priscilla Mae Gobuyan! I'd say that the old-fashioned "Go out and play" is still the best and most fun way to keep the kids occupied. Not only do they need the social interaction, the games they play also keep them physically and mentally fit! Nowadays, lots of busy parents...
 (Total 192 words)
This is a very case-to-case basis kind of thing. I know of many hardcore gamers and I know several types of gamers and the quality of their lives depend on a lot of things. I am not a hardcore gamer but I used to play Red Alert, WarCraft and Clash of Clans. My sister is a gamer too, but the PS4 kind and she's a the Mortal Kombat, Star Wars kind of player. Now I have hardcore gamer friends and they are very sociable. They're the ones who met in college playing CounterStrike and then stil...
 (Total 197 words)
Thats true Priscilla Mae. Kids nowadays can't be seen in the field playing together or chasing each other. As what i have observed to my nieces they are hooked in playing in their ipad or tablet or whatever games they have in their gadgets. I felt sad to them. They didn't experience what i have experienced during my childhood days. The fun is always at its peak, the laughter shared with my playmates, the trust that develop as we continuosly interact to each other and the friendship that ...
 (Total 131 words)
Nowadays, we can no longer see kids along the streets playing the old time games we had when we were younger. Most of them are found in the computer shops, some of which has their own tablets and laptops at home. Good thing we were not included in this generation. Personally I don't like seeing these kids having their tablets with them. It will just cause them too much exposure to radiation to their eyes, can predispose them into carpal tunnel syndrome and making their lifestyle sedentary. T...
 (Total 140 words)
Call me old fashioned but I want kids to go outside and play. When I have kids I will definitely limit video game and television time. The development of a child will be far better if they have more social interaction and actually also the opportunity to get bored. Boredom breeds creativity. A lot of parents fear their child getting bored so they provide them with all the gadgets to keep them occupied. I do not blame them for wanting to provide all that they can for their children to keep them h...
 (Total 210 words)
For the first article, i dont think that poor relationships should be attributable to playing video games. Its not the act of playing video games, its the amount of time lost. So any thing that takes most of your time --- may it belaying video games, using facebook, spending too much time at work - as long as its taking your quality time off from family and loved ones, then the decision to spend time otherwise is the factor to be blames for poor relationships. To be honest,having a poor relation...
 (Total 138 words)
I remember our Pedia Professor saying that children below two years old should have zero screen time. I guess video game’s impact depends on when the child was exposed to it, and how much time he or she is allowed to play, what kind of games he or she is playing. As the child grows, an adequate balance of play must be achieved to help the child develop and meet their needs. Video games have their positive effects, but I also believe that it should not be the only one on the list. Adequate amount...
 (Total 118 words)
I think other factors should also be considered in similar studies, such as the type of video games the children are exposed to. As the first part of the article mentioned, some results showed that video games players had the tendency toward poor relationships and negative behaviors. This could probably be since some video games can be more violent and promote aggressive behavior. For kids though, promoting video games that require cognitive skills may help in development. Other games may also b...
 (Total 117 words)