General
How do religious beliefs affect public health policies?

How do religious beliefs affect public health policies?

Shared by:

Religion and spirituality are important and often private elements of many of our lives. Yet there is one place where those beliefs have not always been completely welcome: medicine.

today.mims.com

9 Sep 2016 - General

Religion has a means of directing people's lives and affecting people's decisions. I haven't had any personal experience with this, but I'm sure it poses some roadblock especially when a specific treatment or approach is set to go against the religious beliefs of patients. As a healthcare professional, you should be able to separate yourself from it. You should be able to present your treatment plan, and when a patient refuses it due to his beliefs, you have to accept it. You can...
 (Total 168 words)
Great! It is very interesting and informative topic for health professionals. As a pharmacist, I believe that our religion has a great impact on our daily lives. Religion is a key guider for our daily behavior and routine. Although each religion has different beliefs and it is related medically to health in different ways but it impacts. For example, in Islam ablution is considered as helpful in a cleansing of vital body organs, relieves tiredness and fatigue, prevents ear infections and teeth d...
 (Total 118 words)
I agree, local traditions and beliefs does give a great impact on taking care of one's body. Although that is a different topic. I am Catholic but I had handled patients with different religions, Islam, Jehovah Witness, etc. For female Islam patient, they do prefer female doctors and nurses to handle them and vice versa. While Jehovah Witnesses try to avoid blood transfusions as possible. In cases like these we have to respect their decision and think of an alternative to the first line mana...
 (Total 85 words)
Talking about religion is indeed a very sensitive subject but one that should be discussed. We would deal with patients from different religions with different beliefs. We should either familiarize ourselves with the different beliefs and practices or remain open minded and cautious at all times. It would be best to gear our treatment plans to that of the beliefs of the patient so as to ensure compliance as well as to show respect to them. As long as religion doesn't interfere with treatment...
 (Total 136 words)
Taking in consideration the sensitivity when talking about religion, I must agree that Islam for example does commands its followers to seek for medical advice and to follow those who are brilliant in their fields regardless of their backgrounds. I actually can never blame any religious views when it comes to the medical practice. On contrary, I find that the local traditions and beliefs impose a real influence on people’s health in certain locality. Regarding HIV, the Islamic view is absolutely...
 (Total 126 words)