General
The rise of 'super bugs' just prompted a UN General Assembly meeting

The rise of 'super bugs' just prompted a UN General Assembly meeting

Shared by:

While researchers have been hard at work looking for new kinds of medicine to treat pathogens, they have been fighting a losing battle to drug-resistant bacteria. A growing concern in many parts of the world, this drug-resistance problem has been...

www.sciencealert.com

10 Sep 2016 - General

Mahmoud AbdelAziz and Theekshana Abayawickrama This is really concerning if we see a pathogen that becomes resistant to every available antibiotic. As both of you have pointed out, irrational use of antibiotics has to stop. Penicillins should be the first line whenever possible for upper respiratory tract infection and uncomplicate...
 (Total 128 words)
Mahmoud AbdelAziz I think one of the most important steps to take in fighting this is to stop irrational prescription of antibiotics. In my opinion, giving antibiotics to treat conditions that do not necessarily require them has caused bacteria to develop resistance. When there is 1 organism in a billion that is resistant to a particular antibiotic, when you give the patient the antibiotic all the other bacteria ...
 (Total 110 words)
It is seriously alarming what these pathogens have become and what they are capable of doing. I wonder what this assembly is going to recommend!. It is hard to predict an easy solution or magic trick but they surly have to take some serious decisions in favour of the mankind in this endless war against pathogens. I guess one of the strategies they can adopt is to target some diseases more intensively and handle others very carefully. In many places, antibiotics are still very easy to purchase, t...
 (Total 113 words)
Evolution of superbugs, bacteria that are resistant to the most potent antibiotics ever known, has been a threat in the healthcare industry for many decades now. Researchers all around the world are in a silent struggle to develop antibiotics to counter the resistance that superbugs develop. It is a huge health impact, because if a patient gets a severe infection with one of these multidrug resistant organisms doctors are left with nothing but watch the patient slowly deteriorate. This growing p...
 (Total 112 words)