General
Should doctors let patients have their personal phone numbers?

Should doctors let patients have their personal phone numbers?

Shared by:

Doctors should not be seen as selfish when we refuse to give out our personal phone numbers. Here's why.

today.mims.com

10 Sep 2016 - General

I wholly agree with the comments coming from the good doctors. As Physicians, we do not give our private numbers to patients. I too encountered a problem when a patient who called me at 1 am in the morning and asked me for a clinical evaluation for ...
 (Total 118 words)
Let me share my first hand experience as a resident. Since majority of my consultants do not give their phone numbers, they give my phone number instead. I usually give a warning that I may not answer or reply to messages promptly because I might be ...
 (Total 157 words)
This is a BIG NO for me too! Personal numbers are meant to be used for personal contacts only. Giving a number that can be accessible through clinic hours is the best bargain we can give to patients. I firmly believe that patients should not be doing...
 (Total 211 words)
Giving the work phone number to patient is acceptable, and is a norm for most of the healthcare system. Patient can contact the specific work phone number during day time if they do have any specific question. Depending on the specialty, some specia...
 (Total 110 words)
There are pros and cons. Some would say 'yes' and some would say 'no'. I do not have a extreme answer for this question but I must say the answer is 'no' for about 60-70%. Because privacy is privacy. No one needs to take the d...
 (Total 103 words)
I would say no as well to personal numbers. It not only saves us from potential law suits and from having a life outside of being a doctor but it really is in the patient's best interest as well. If we do not have a clinic the patient can contact...
 (Total 133 words)
I understand why some doctors doesn't give out their numbers to their patients. It is because some patients doesn't respect the rest day of their doctors. Doctors have their needs too and sometimes, some patients abused that. I just hope that...
 (Total 125 words)
I may not be a doctor, but I think its important for a patient to have someone to contact or ask questions from, even if its not a personal number. I agree with Tarah Cadiz that a number w...
 (Total 164 words)
I'd say yes. Not a personal number per se, but a number that patients can call for queries. I have told this story a couple of times here in the MIMS community, but here it goes again. My mentor provides a number that her patients can call when t...
 (Total 140 words)
Even if I am not a doctor, I would say NO too. Doctors are human beings as well, they have life outside the medical world. For out of hours advice (normally 6pm-8am, and weekends), UK has got a number (111) to contact for people needing medical advic...
 (Total 118 words)
I would say it is a BIG NO to give patients our private number !! We should not be in contact with patient after working hours. There will always be the medical team or general practice on-call that the patients can seek for medical advice out of hou...
 (Total 108 words)