General
A new “taste” has been found that may explain our love affair with carbohydrates

A new “taste” has been found that may explain our love affair with carbohydrates

Shared by:

Researchers believe they have identified the sixth primary taste, ‘starchy’, in addition to the five primary tastes of salty, sweet, sour, bitter and umami.

today.mims.com

11 Sep 2016 - General

Oh my, yes this is a very interesting post indeed. I am not a rice person but I love rice, it's just that since I can avoid it and do not look for it like others do, I just skip it altogether. But, the starch craving in my life is in bread and pa...
 (Total 155 words)
This is a great post, Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan . This could potentially explain as to why most Asians do not feel satiated if rice is not served in a meal. Europeans and Americans would ...
 (Total 159 words)
Hi Kathleen Peralta, hehe, maybe it depends on one's perception? :) References say that glutamate is present in high amounts in certain meats and seafood; this is probably why the taste...
 (Total 38 words)
Kathleen Peralta I came to know about umami when I taught basic Anatomy and Physiology. :) The word "umami" is I think derived from a Japanese term. It is usually identified as th...
 (Total 105 words)
A good and informative read. Aside from the sixth taste, "starchy" that Scientists has identified, I haven't heard about Umami before and to think that it has been added seven years ago. As "starchy" still doesn't qualify ...
 (Total 110 words)
Ah so this gives an answer to that question. This is why people seem to be so addicted to junk food, although the harmful health effects of consuming starch like obesity, diabetes mellitus and increased risk of coronary artery disease are well known....
 (Total 131 words)
So this is probably why we tend to crave specific starchy foods like potatoes, bread and pasta. Personally, I am a huge fan of breads and potatoes, as they have this distinct taste than just merely being sweet. Though a high consumption of carbohydra...
 (Total 128 words)