General
A new “taste” has been found that may explain our love affair with carbohydrates

A new “taste” has been found that may explain our love affair with carbohydrates

Shared by:

Researchers believe they have identified the sixth primary taste, ‘starchy’, in addition to the five primary tastes of salty, sweet, sour, bitter and umami.

today.mims.com

11 Sep 2016 - General

It is really alarming when you came accross a study that states the increasing rate of obesity among children or even in the older age group. That's why if this sixth sense starchy," will be back ip by studies and will be proven, I think as early as weaning period of a child, the mothers must be given information in introducing whole plant- based diet in the starter food, like sweet potatoes as alternative to rice pooridge and to other prepared baby s like the one being bought to super...
 (Total 98 words)
Oh my, yes this is a very interesting post indeed. I am not a rice person but I love rice, it's just that since I can avoid it and do not look for it like others do, I just skip it altogether. But, the starch craving in my life is in bread and pasta form. I cannot resist bread and pasta. I am always looking for this starchy taste, I understand it now. Sometimes when I'm not going to be working out, I try to cut down on calories because I won't be able to burn it, so I'd have more...
 (Total 155 words)
This is a great post, Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan . This could potentially explain as to why most Asians do not feel satiated if rice is not served in a meal. Europeans and Americans would prefer potatoes and bread on the other hand. The article has pointed out one often neglected fact - cultural diversity of carbohydrates. Asians grow more rice while Westerners harvest more potatoes and produce pasta and bread. ...
 (Total 159 words)
Kathleen Peralta I came to know about umami when I taught basic Anatomy and Physiology. :) The word "umami" is I think derived from a Japanese term. It is usually identified as the taste of monosodium glutamate, or MSG, or vetsin as we Filipinos know it. :) It';s that meaty taste we crave from certain foods like fish and meat. Based on the criteria in the article, I guess they were able to identify ...
 (Total 105 words)
A good and informative read. Aside from the sixth taste, "starchy" that Scientists has identified, I haven't heard about Umami before and to think that it has been added seven years ago. As "starchy" still doesn't qualify as a primary taste, I am more interested with Umami whilst reading the article. I wondered where the term, "umami" came from and would junk foods such as crisps in packets, and the like be classified as a taste like umami? Has anyone of you...
 (Total 110 words)
Ah so this gives an answer to that question. This is why people seem to be so addicted to junk food, although the harmful health effects of consuming starch like obesity, diabetes mellitus and increased risk of coronary artery disease are well known. I also believed that it is the monosaccharides that can stimulate our taste buds to give the taste that we get when we eat starch. At school I remember a small experiment that my teacher did. She gave us a few grains of rice, asked to put in our mou...
 (Total 131 words)
So this is probably why we tend to crave specific starchy foods like potatoes, bread and pasta. Personally, I am a huge fan of breads and potatoes, as they have this distinct taste than just merely being sweet. Though a high consumption of carbohydrates has been linked to obesity, which is a growing problem worldwide, I think the type of carbohydrates being consumed is an important factor to consider, too. I think this issue can be addressed by trying to consume the types of carbohydrates that a...
 (Total 128 words)