General

Precautionary measures about you pets!

Created by:

11 Sep 2016 - General

Beware bites, scratches, and smooches

While it is more likely that you’ll receive germs causing human disease while shaking hands than when getting smooched by a dog, saliva from a cat or dog, delivered via an affectionate lick, an accidental or aggressive bite, or a defensive scratch, may contain organisms that can cause illness if they penetrate the skin or come in contact with the mucous membranes of the mouth, nose, or eyes. The dog or cat that unknowingly transmits these germs usually shows no signs of illness. But once inside a human, these bacteria can cause skin infections, flu-like symptoms such as fever and chills, and more serious diseases such as meningitis. The rabies virus is the most dangerous saliva-borne germ a cat or dog can bestow on a person.

Poop patrol

No one in their right mind intentionally touches or ingests dog or cat poop, but people can nevertheless expose themselves to several nasty disease-causing agents from it via contaminated soil or water. These include salmonella, a bacteria that humans more commonly get from contaminated food, and giardia, a single-celled parasite that can cause severe diarrhea.

Freeloading fleas and ticks

The fleas and ticks that get a free ride and feed on domestic dogs and cats can also feed on humans, though they prefer hairier mammals. During feeding, those insects can transmit the germs that cause Lyme disease, ehrlichiosis (characterized by fever and headache), the malaria-like infection known as babesiosis, and even plague, most human cases

Cats are the definitive host for Toxoplasma gondii, a parasite, that may infect pregnant women, children, and immunocompromised individuals. Cats get infected during ingestion of contaminated eat from birds or mice. The organism then reaches maturity as it passes through the cat's digestive tract. Hence, the parasite becomes present in the cat's litter. The parasite's eggs can survive in warm humid environment for a year in warm, humid environment such as the Philippines. Therefore,...
 (Total 120 words)
Good thing my younger brother has an asthma. I never got a chance to have a pet. After all, i am keeping my family away from these "can be acquired illness". I have my list why I don't find it necessary to buy one for NOW. First, Even if a pet is domesticated, you cannot expect him to behave like a real person. It can hurt anyone in your family. 2nd, It can be costly. Buying essential grooming kits for pets, food, and other accessories like collars and leash can be very expensive....
 (Total 153 words)