General

Your Most Fulfilling Vacation

Created by:

13 Sep 2016 - General

As health practitioners, our lives are synonymous to stress. Especially for those who work in the hospital, it's almost round-the-clock work and with people who are in private practice, like myself, holidays are working days because its the busiest days I have in the clinic (holidays and weekends). I work 6 days a week, Monday through Saturday so when people scream TGIF and ask me out for a drink because "It's Friday", I say "Sure but I have to leave early because I have a patient the next morning." . 

For the Filipinos here in the MIMS community, we just had another long weekend and I took a quick vacay out of town with a few friends. Well, we planned this a month ago because a friend was coming home from Dubai and then Monday was suddently declared a holiday, so I was able to enjoy a long weekend for once. But now I am back to the clinic, having a quick lunch break, before I seat a patient for a root canal at 1pm. I'm still tired from the trip, but work is work, and after my root canal I have a patient for braces and crowns. This is often the problem with quick getaways--reality hits you hard, soon after.

This takes me to the most fulfilling trip I had years ago. It was a seven-day trip to Bali, Indonesia that I spent with my cousins. It was such a slow paced trip. We spent much of the time just enjoying picturesque villa lifestyle, eating local food, seeing sights with the help of our local-driven van and just forgetting how busy work is back at home. It was a long trip and we weren't at all rushing, so I remember coming home on the last day, just totally satisfied and excited to go back to work. I don't know if it was the "Eat Pray Love" magic of Bali, but to this day, it is the most memorable trip I had. It was a total destress, compared to short trips that leave you sad and longing for more, after. 

Do you travel to destress? Tell us about your most fulfilling vacation away from patients, hospitals, co-workers, cases, etc... etc... 

Wow Priscilla Mae Gobuyan that sounds amazing. I haven't been to the Middle East and I would love to go there, one of these days. That's a great vacation. Marinelle Castro Mark Edmon Tan --- yes, beach vacations are always nice and relaxing...
 (Total 91 words)
There is really something relaxing about being close to nature. In my busiest days, I try to catch a break by going to the nearby coffeeshop just across the hospital to take a break. In a way this area takes me away from the busy hospital scene because its surrounded by plants and trees and gives off that zen vibe. Mark Edmon Tan I really like going to the beach because the monotonous sound of the waves, the sce...
 (Total 114 words)
Marinelle Castro Ditto! As residency does not really afford us to go on long vacation trips, my wife and I escape to the beach for our sanity break. Every beach trip is memorable because we get to have great conversations about anything non-medical related but one stands out. It is our trip to a beach in Quezon where we were joined by family and friends. We were in a floating cabana and fresh seafood was cooked o...
 (Total 190 words)
Reading this topic made me realize that majority of my vacation trips involve going to the beach! Well I have two notable beach trips. One when I was a medical clerk. I was fortunate that my community medicine rotation fell into the christmas vacation, which means I had weeks of free days. If I remember correctly, I spent three weeks at Mactan, Cebu with my family. Aside from island hopping through Mactan, we also went to Bohol and other must-see places within the area. It was nice spending thre...
 (Total 143 words)
Wow! I was also about to write a topic about vacation here at the community because I was also interested if how often people travel Maria Cristina Inserto . hehe. Well so far the most and the best vacation I'd ever had was just 2 weeks ago. Since we are granted about 2 weeks of paid vacation leave yearly, I went to UAE and spent my 3 days at Dubai, and another 8 days at Abu Dhabi with my friends. We were able...
 (Total 176 words)