General
The robotic heart: How feasible and ethical is it?

The robotic heart: How feasible and ethical is it?

Shared by:

Heart transplants are needed by patients who suffer from a range of cardiovascular problems, but would we allow an artificial robotic heart to solve this problem?

today.mims.com

14 Sep 2016 - General

It is quite exciting to know about the possibility of robotic artificial heart can the an alternative to heart transplant for patients suffering from end stage cardiac failure. In their very first trial involving the 4 patients, it seems like they have achieved their trial end point, which was a survival period of 30 days. The device related complications may possibly be the cause of mortality for the first four subjects of robotic artificial heart. More relevant clinical data should be obtained...
 (Total 113 words)
Woah! $ 200,000 is a whopping amount of money! But well, if the patient can afford it, why not? I think this technology is feasible and hopefully needs just a few more years of study and improvement before it can be totally successful. And sure, technology can help those in need of organ transplants, but what I keep wondering about is that, why is there such a shortage? So many people die everyday with still healthy organs that they won’t be needing anymore. Why not donate these organs to someon...
 (Total 140 words)
"Probably - if they can afford it - the Carmat heart costs USD$200,000." The many issues I have with innovation is that it's often for those who can afford it. As if saying, only the rich have a chance to live (or to have a second chance at life, so to speak). My knowledge in cardiology is very little, but I understand how waiting for an organ can be tedious and often time completely lapses for the patient. The robotic heart, although seeimingly playing with life, allows the wait t...
 (Total 138 words)