General

Six easy ways to lower your blood pressure!

Created by:

14 Sep 2016 - General

Hypertension; a modifiable risk factor for various non communicable diseases, is a popular topic in the community. I would like to introduce few simple ways to follow to control high blood pressure. "DASH diet' ( Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) is better to practice. Less that 30% of the total calorie intake should be from fats. Saturated fat and trans fat should be avoided. Next level is to avoid much sodium in the diet since sodium is highly osmotically active it will retain water within the intravascular compartment. Weight reduction and regular exercise will help you to reduce the risk to develob hypertension. Quit smoking and drink moderately. Have enough sleep to give a rest to all the systems. Finally medical advice is really necessary to control high blood pressure and thereby the risk for the secondary conditions to hypertension.

I agree with Marinelle Castro many a times, our patients overlooked on their medications and are forgetful. And missing out on these will just make things worst for the individual. A lot of them are also complacent and does not want to monitor their progress in controlling their blood pressure. Usually they feel that it is a waste of money or due to their budget constraint, they cannot afford a blood pressure mon...
 (Total 99 words)
Aside from lifestyle modications that were already mentioned in the post, I think once a person is diagnosed with essential hypertension, it is important to adhere to the prescribed treatment regimen. Regular measurement of blood pressure in clinic follow ups or self-monitoring devices is recommended. This allows the patient to identify possible personal triggers of hypertensive episodes. It is even better if exposure to these triggers can be avoided. Stressful situations are known to trigger hy...
 (Total 107 words)
All the steps you have mentioned, dietary modifications, exercise, adequate sleep, refraining from smoking and alcohol.. all these not only reduce the blood pressure. It reduces the overall risk of coronary artery disease. Hypertension alone is a huge risk factor for ischemic heart disease. GRACE ACS Risk Calculator gives a considerable weight to the systolic blood pressure of a person in estimating the overall risk of a person to get a cardiac event in their lifetime. With the busy lifestyle we...
 (Total 123 words)
Hypertension is having a consistently high blood pressure. Indeed, easy ways to lower your blood pressure. Just like my father. He was hypertensive for almost 10 years. Glad he is very disciplined with his diets and very compliant with his daily medications. I am the one who is tasked to monitor his blood pressure everyday, morning and evening. I also encourage him to verbalized if he feels something unusual. Good thing is his medication is maintained with lower dose and that it is not that expe...
 (Total 115 words)