General
Full disclosure of medical errors

Full disclosure of medical errors

Shared by:

There is a high prevalence of harmful medical errors. Some medical errors are birthed from pure negligence and others could have been prevented. So what do you do if a mistake has been made, and the patient expresses: 'What happened to me? I want to know everything. Give me the whole story.'?

today.mims.com

14 Sep 2016 - General

Like everyone else here, full disclosure is one of those things that are good to have in an idealistic manner, but difficult to execute. Guilty feelings aside, the emotional response of family members is something that is difficult to combat. Family members do not understand the intricacies of medical and surgical practice, and they may not understand that standard practice can sometimes lead to mortality on the operating table.

When dealing with the grief of losing a family member, pa...
 (Total 149 words)
This is really hard. To give full disclosure and an apology is so much easier said than done. Sometimes your intentions are pure and your desire to do the job, error-free is sincere, but accidents happen. Sometimes it is a simple error with cascading effects; sometimes it an outcome that if way beyond your control; and sometimes it is poor judgement. It is a different thing when you blatantly committed the error. But the consequences that are often tagged to full disclosure and apologies, may b...
 (Total 251 words)
I would suggest that when undesirable, unexpected medical errors occur that possibly lead to patients’ morbidity or mortality, that particular event should be investigated methodically. The aim of investigation is not to solely blame anyone who may contribute to the unwanted event, but is to find out the underlying cause of the medical errors, so that other people working in healthcare sector can learn from the mistakes and to prevent it from happening again. Regular mortality and morbidity (M&a...
 (Total 102 words)
Full disclosure of medical errors is a prudent thing to do. However, this is easier said than done. There should be hospital protocols that protects the interest of the patients and enhances ethical professional practice among healthcare professionals. If an unexpected patient outcome occurred, I agree with You Yi Hong that there must be a standard way of investigating the event. In our institution, unexpected o...
 (Total 145 words)
This is truly a delicate matter. Yes if the error occurred due to pure and outright negligence owning up to the error and apologizing is necessary. There are "errors" that aren't due to negligence but occur through cause and effect of the situation. There are many errors which occur during emergency situations but they aren't error perse as the common known definition of a medical error suggests. We should be more focused on preventing these errors by revising our tactics. Full...
 (Total 109 words)
It is unreal that the research team in U.S have showed that 9.5% of all deaths (from medical death rate data from 2000 to 2008) were due to medical errors !!!! It is indeed a shocking figure. As healthcare professional, our aim is to help patient, alleviate their pain and suffering, and cure them from the illness. But, in the process of doing so, errors may occur at time, possibly leading to worst outcome for the patients. A lot of the medical errors should be preventable. When medical error occ...
 (Total 113 words)
In an ideal world, of course the best thing to do would be to admit your errors and apologize. Yet in actual situations in the medical field, there may also be other factors that can contribute to these errors. The work that health care professionals do is quite delicate, since we all know that one wrong move could result to harm. Because of this, we are naturally a very cautious bunch (sometimes to the point of being perfectionists). Yet we are also human and many times, in our line of work, we...
 (Total 188 words)