General
Full disclosure of medical errors

Full disclosure of medical errors

Shared by:

There is a high prevalence of harmful medical errors. Some medical errors are birthed from pure negligence and others could have been prevented. So what do you do if a mistake has been made, and the patient expresses: 'What happened to me? I want to know everything. Give me the whole story.'?

today.mims.com

14 Sep 2016 - General

Like everyone else here, full disclosure is one of those things that are good to have in an idealistic manner, but difficult to execute. Guilty feelings aside, the emotional response of family members is something that is difficult to combat. Family ...
 (Total 149 words)
This is really hard. To give full disclosure and an apology is so much easier said than done. Sometimes your intentions are pure and your desire to do the job, error-free is sincere, but accidents happen. Sometimes it is a simple error with cascadin...
 (Total 251 words)
I would suggest that when undesirable, unexpected medical errors occur that possibly lead to patients’ morbidity or mortality, that particular event should be investigated methodically. The aim of investigation is not to solely blame anyone who may c...
 (Total 102 words)
Full disclosure of medical errors is a prudent thing to do. However, this is easier said than done. There should be hospital protocols that protects the interest of the patients and enhances ethical professional practice among healthcare professional...
 (Total 145 words)
This is truly a delicate matter. Yes if the error occurred due to pure and outright negligence owning up to the error and apologizing is necessary. There are "errors" that aren't due to negligence but occur through cause and effect of t...
 (Total 109 words)
It is unreal that the research team in U.S have showed that 9.5% of all deaths (from medical death rate data from 2000 to 2008) were due to medical errors !!!! It is indeed a shocking figure. As healthcare professional, our aim is to help patient, al...
 (Total 113 words)
In an ideal world, of course the best thing to do would be to admit your errors and apologize. Yet in actual situations in the medical field, there may also be other factors that can contribute to these errors. The work that health care professionals...
 (Total 188 words)
i wondering what the possibilities of medical error can cause the death, after check in another site (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-05-03/medical-errors-are-the-third-leading-cause-of-death-study-finds), only found out medical error inc...
 (Total 61 words)