General
Forced treatment among the mentally ill

Forced treatment among the mentally ill

Shared by:

Is forced treatment among the mentally ill a wrong thing to do?

today.mims.com

14 Sep 2016 - General

I have an aunt who is confined in a care home, because of her mental illness. She used to live with my grandparents and she was cared for by someone, but when both my grandparents died, she was left with my other aunt who did not really have the full capacity to care for her. She would often escape out of the house and would be found on the street. That worried my dad a lot. Sometimes we took her to our house, but we were quite young then, I was in high school (so my sisters, 6-10 years my junio...
 (Total 232 words)
Treatment for the mentally ill or unstable might be referred to as a force treatment for those with no knowledge of the psychiatry scene. Someone can mistook the healthcare providers' help as a unfair fight in order to provide the patient's mental health's needs because it might look aggressive and also intimidating. As healthcare providers we are able to make a sensible decision on behalf of the patient as they are unable to think and decide appropriately in order to treat them. Th...
 (Total 121 words)
Once a patient becomes mentally incapacitated to make decisions for himself, he also loses the right to the principle of autonomy. Ethically and legally, the patient's next of kin has the right to decide for the patient if this occurs. As mentioned in the article, patients who may harm themselves or other people, or those who have severe and debilitating symptoms should be treated urgently. This often requires hospital admission. It's not right to call this as "forced treatment"...
 (Total 116 words)
Here in the Philippines, mental illness is really taboo. It is big deal when you seek help from a psychiatrist or from a mental hospital. This is one reason that people tend to ask help from "kwak doctors, albularyo, etc." , instead of seeking help from a professional. Because of this, there is an increasing number of patients with mental illness. This is due to lack of proper treatment. Patients with mental illness are denial with their status and most of the time significant others ...
 (Total 164 words)
Thank You Jemar Nicado for sharing this post as it may helpful to the relatives of mentally ill people who become depressed when doctors go against the will of such patients. Mentally ill people cannot take care of themselves rather they may harm themselves or other people around them. By hospitalizing such patients we are providing them the extra care they cannot do themselves and abstain them from the rude behavior of other people to whom such patients are disturbing. Mental hospitals have set...
 (Total 107 words)