General
Why doctors may turn patients away

Why doctors may turn patients away

Shared by:

“I’m walking away from the troubles in my life. I’m walking away oh to find a better day.” Though this song by Craig David was referring to a relationship he felt he needed to get out of, it comically also represents the situation with doctors and certain patients.

today.mims.com

14 Sep 2016 - General

Marinelle Castro: Well yes that is true "turning away" sounds very harsh but the idea is there. Refuse to treat is more appropriate of course but it sounds harsh as well. Definitely if there is bias it is better to refer. I remember dealing with a neuro patient who's family was very very difficult. I would update the neurologist constantly to the point where he got annoyed with all their demands tha...
 (Total 148 words)
I'm not sure if "turning away" is the correct term. Perhaps, asking them to seek consult from another doctor? Turning away just sounds...bad. Anyway, doctors have the right to refuse to treat a patient for professional and personal reasons. If you think that you will give a biased form of treatment because of personal issues, then its probably better to advise the patient to seek consult from another doctor. I don't see anything wrong in that. If I feel that a patient does not ...
 (Total 116 words)
Maria Cristina Inserto yes I remember that conversation. Good decision right there! I remember you telling us about that patient who was comparing your prices to a cheaper dentist. The materials you dentists use aren't cheap. If the patient wants a lower price then well no problem please go to the other one. My personal pet peeve for patients are the ones who name drop thinking that it would change the treatme...
 (Total 134 words)
Exactly, Jennifer Winter, I did tell you about my final decision to stay away from potentially vain patients right? These cases are often very tempting because you have here patients who are willing to spend great money for overhaul work--but these cases are really not worth it. We are not money mongers, it's never easy when a patient is completely nitpicking your work and saying bad things and you just want ...
 (Total 146 words)
"We are not money mongers."- We have been bringing up the issue on how patients believe that since they are paying us for our services they therefore own us. I have seen my share of difficult patients but most often I am able to talk to them and get to the root cause of their problem. I have instilled in myself the ultimate virtue of patience and have found that an extra booster pack of patience is often required nowadays. There are those who we cannot handle or cannot appease so it wo...
 (Total 99 words)