General
Ancient health myths and misconceptions:  Putting an end to  mystical inaccuracies

Ancient health myths and misconceptions: Putting an end to mystical inaccuracies

Shared by:

Part of our Asian inheritance lies in our cultural ethos which comes with plenty of beliefs that are often unquestioned because they were passed on to us by the people we trust most.

today.mims.com

14 Sep 2016 - General

One myth that really needs to go is that you develop "immunity" to your medicine if you took too much/too often.
No, you do not develop immunity/resistance/tolerance to a majority of medicine. There are only certain classes where tolerance/down-regulation occurs such as steroid, alcohol, opioids/opioid-like drugs.
Your diabetes, hypertension, cholesterol medicines will not caused you to be "immuned" to your drugs. So keep taking them everyday as advised. Any increase ...
 (Total 92 words)
You know what I really put my phone/ipad in flight mode when I fly. But I always turn it on, while taxiing. Hehe. I dunno. A friend laughed at me when I was switching my phone to flight mode and said I'm so obedient. I dunno I'm scared something might go wrong. But then again, he didn't turn his phone off, so what did my move achieve?

Really? There is no such a thing as sugar rush? I swear I've seen kids go crazy after having too much sweets and then they crash, right af...
 (Total 141 words)
Alex Ngai I know that tradition too of categorizing food as having hot or cold properties regardless of temperature state. "Hot" foods would make you prone to illnesses such as respiratory tract infections because the fluids in the body become more viscous. I also find confining women who just gave brith perplexing because this group is actually susceptible to post-partum depression. Give the combinatio...
 (Total 109 words)
Priscilla Mae Gobuyan Oh yes. Ice cream and chocolates were prohibited when we had coughs or colds. It made some sense though as bacteria feeds on glucose. However, I do not agree with associating cold temperature with illnesses. This temperature has been used for a lot of medical purposes. Cold compress relieves pain and muscle spasm. Ice bath helps decrease overall metabolic activity in cases of brain injury. I...
 (Total 100 words)
Personally, I tend to be very dismissive of superstitions and traditional folk medicine concepts. For example, Chinese tradition believes in the Yin & Yang, and that often translates into the belief that foods are either 'hot' or 'cold' in their properties, not their serving temperature. The idea that foods are separated into binary concepts and that eating from one group solves problems from the other group seems silly to me. In addition, some long-held beliefs, such as conf...
 (Total 130 words)
I do agree with the statement of the author wherein these beliefs seem not to be questioned at all because it has already been passed to us by the people whom we trust the most. As filipinos, we are really believers of a lot superstitions. That's a common practice wherein mothers prohibit their children from taking cold stuff such as ice cream whenever they have colds. Poor children including ourselves! hehe. Well let's admit it that we used to believe these practices not until we are ex...
 (Total 147 words)
In relation to myth #1, getting soaked in the rain will make us catch cold. This is definitely not true because this would be equivalent of catching a cold every time we take a bath. Myth #2 is spot on. My parents used to make me drink warm water when I had fever. They have no idea how hard it is to drink warm water with a high body temperature. Drinking cold water will encourage more fluid intake and even lower the core body temperature that could prevent shivering. As for myth #5, excessive su...
 (Total 157 words)