General
Skin infections are increasingly untreatable due to overuse of steroids

Skin infections are increasingly untreatable due to overuse of steroids

Shared by:

Dermatologists report that the liberal use of topical steroids has resulted in greater difficulty in treating fungal infections. Many patients now find their condition resurfaces upon cessation of treatment.

today.mims.com

15 Sep 2016 - General

Hi Kathleen Peralta, sorry for the delayed response. I was wondering why hydrocortisone didn't work initially while mometasone did,as they are both steroid preparations. I looked up the various steroid classes and found that mometasone probably worked better since it is a more potent corticosteroid. I do hope your daughter’s skin condition has been resolved now? If the antifungal cream didn’t work, then it pr...
 (Total 123 words)
Recently, we've been to the GP to have my daughter's skin checked for the 3rd time. For the first two appointments, I had same GP to look at her skin. 1. ?ringworm on left arm - prescribed Timodine and 2. Eczema on some other areas which are dry, red and itching - advised to just continue emollient creams she currently got which are dermol and epaderm. After a couple of weeks, the symptoms did settle initially but itching continued and still dry and red on some areas. This time, hydrocor...
 (Total 213 words)
Steroids are widely being used to treat skin infections. Obviously it has an antiinflammatory action. It helps to recover soon by reducing the intensity of the local inflammation. Simultaneously steroids have an immunosuppresive action and thereby there is a possibility of spread of the infection in turn. Long term exposure of steroids to the skin makes the skin thinner making the natural non specific barrier weaker, permitting the microbes to go through this barrier. And orally used steroids ha...
 (Total 113 words)
Jennifer Winter You Yi Hong I do agree that one of the main reasons for this is the liberal use of steroid-containing preparations that goes with not being sure of the dermatologic condition. A lot of skin conditions do look alike and have similar symptoms of itching, redness and swelling. I think that many physicians also choose ...
 (Total 142 words)
Topical steroid should never be available as over-the-counter medications. It should be solely prescription only medication. Steroid was thought to be a “magic medication”, that can be used in a variety of medical conditions. But, its use should be clinically appropriate, and prescribed by a doctor. Prolonged usage of steroid should never be encouraged due to its side effects. In the field of dermatology, it seems like the liberal unrestricted use of topical steroid cream that is easily availabl...
 (Total 110 words)
Derma is my waterloo so when I see a skin condition and I am not sure I call in a colleague or just refer the patient straight to a dermatologist. I recently faced a case which looked like atopic dermatitis but also looked like it could be fungal. A good derma eye could tell the difference but since it is not my area I made a referral note for the patient and just gave him an oral antihistamine for the mild itchiness he was experiencing. I often see topical steroids being prescribed but I myself...
 (Total 172 words)
I think steroids are often among the most overlooked drugs that should not be used too frequently or over long periods of time unless completely necessary. Long-term use can alter the body’s normal response to infection and lead to immunosuppression. Such an issue, coupled with antibiotic resistance, is a growing concern and can have very dangerous implications over the long run. Health care professionals should advice patients not to turn to products containing steroids (creams, ointments, etc....
 (Total 132 words)