General
Should doctors listen to their patients’ gut instincts?

Should doctors listen to their patients’ gut instincts?

Shared by:

How significant is a patient's gut instinct in the context of diagnosing and prescribing appropriate treatment to patients?

today.mims.com

15 Sep 2016 - General

Yes, the doctor has to listen to the patient and judiciously filter what is essential. As for subjective data such as pain, we must always heed the patient's grading of pain. This is a very strong stimuli that can only be explained by the patient and pain tolerance varies from person to person. I know some doctors who disregard a patient's pain scale rating and instead judge the patient's pain scale based on clinical assessment. I have always found this unfair as some patients have r...
 (Total 129 words)
Not to be taken as definitive, but medical practitioners should listen and pay attention to everything that the patient says and feels, and this includes his gut instincts. Sometimes the clinical signs and symptoms are inconclusive but the patient will present to you their own observation. We're like detectives. Basically, we have to get hold of all the clues to be able to arrive a good conclusion. You cannot discount what the patient feels because they are more in tune with their body. Jus...
 (Total 103 words)
Tarah Cadiz Actually I would too. I've frequently encountered this among patients who have chronic headache who are requesting for a Cranial CT or a Cranial MRI. If it would address their concerns and if it would give them a peace of mind, then I think its worth doing. However, there's also a limitation to it. When it comes to medications, I don't prescribe medications that are being suggested by pat...
 (Total 120 words)
Marinelle Castro would do, and I do request procedures as per patient's request. For me it is always 1.) for the patient's peace of mind 2.) it is better to commit than omit :) we still do have the final say on their management and diagnosis, and referral to other services are very much accepted for me. However, there would always be a fine line between good patient care and having the patient boss you a...
 (Total 90 words)
Its definitely important for healthcare providers to listen to patient's concerns and instincts. This is part of establishing a good professional relationship with the client. Patients who feel that their concerns are unheard, or worse trivialized will find it difficult to trust their doctors. So no matter how anxious or medically unsound the patient's concern is, it is important to listen and reassure the patient if needed. Sometimes, these patients just needs to be reassured that they ...
 (Total 113 words)
Mahmoud AbdelAziz, you have posted a nice topic depicting the importance of patient and doctor relationship. Patients should not hide anything related to their health from Doctor while Doctors must listen to their patients carefully. I have seen few cases where Doctors just listen superficially about the disease condition and prescribe the medication and patients are not satisfied with the diagnosis and they either go to another doctor or their medical condition is not relieved through treatment...
 (Total 102 words)
Considering what patients feel and say in their own words is very crucial in the doctor-patient relationship. It is ethically mandatory to respect their pain and symptoms and do whatever possible to investigate and relieve them. However, It is very common to take such complaints lightly and even may ignore it totally, especially if these complaints are not affecting the patient’s daily routine. In so many cases, doctors tend to blame the psychiatric status of the patient whether these symptoms a...
 (Total 129 words)
Considering what patients feel and say in their own words is very crucial in the doctor-patient relationship. It is ethically mandatory to respect their pain and symptoms and do whatever possible to investigate and relieve them. However, It is very common to take such complaints lightly and even may ignore it totally, especially if these complaints are not affecting the patient’s daily routine. In so many cases, doctors tend to blame the psychiatric status of the patient whether these symptoms a...
 (Total 129 words)