General
5 facts about anemia that PH doctors need to tell their patients

5 facts about anemia that PH doctors need to tell their patients

Shared by:

Aside from anemia being one of the most common blood diseases in the world, what other facts do Filipino doctors need to know about this condition?

today.mims.com

15 Sep 2016 - General

Anemia is the reduction of haemoglobin below the accepted value. Anemia is caused by several facts. Nutritional deficiency can cause anemia and folic acid, Vitamin B-12 and iron are essential to maintain the haemoglobin level within the normal value. So the patients must be taught about the proper dietary intake of these needs as a preventive measure of nutritional deficiency anemia. Haemolytic anemia can be caused by several conditions. So the patients must be aware of the symptoms of it like h...
 (Total 113 words)
In general its really difficult to feed children with green leafy vegetables or vegetables in general. One of the things that I learned in pediatric nutrition is that it is critical for parents to introduce the taste of vegetable as soon as children are being prepared to eat table food. It is usually advised to make a puree of these vegetables and allow children to get acquainted with its taste prior to incorporating these vegetables in table food. Once a child develops a particular food prefere...
 (Total 113 words)
Glad to read that the prevalence of anemia in Filipinos is decreasing. Because I thought otherwise mainly because nowadays, kids are choosy with their foods. As what i have noticed even my younger brother, as well as my nieces, they don't like eating green leafy vegetables. They rather choose a fried hotdogs, ham, or fried anything which is having less or no nutritional value at all. Good thing iron can't only be taken from vegetables alone. Although, chicken liver, fruits, ground beef, ...
 (Total 123 words)
It is a point to be pondering that the most anemic patients are children and women. It is good to hear that anemia prevalence is decreasing but children are more prone to this deficiency. It can be either genetic abnormality such as sickle cell anemia or hypo-proliferative anemia like iron-deficiency anemia. Anemic patients have more chances of mild cognitive impairment and stroke diseases so it must be managed at an early stage to avoid lethal complications. Anemia can be easily managed with a ...
 (Total 98 words)
It was surprising for me to find out that most people suffering from anemia are actually children, and the parents may not even know about it. I agree that # 3 in the article is quite helpful; the problem today is, not a lot of kids want to eat green leafy veggies. Parents nowadays have to promote healthy eating even at a young age. There are other sources of Iron too, such as nuts, meats, beans and whole grains. A variety of these foods may also be more agreeable for kids to take. In serious ca...
 (Total 103 words)